With its enchanting character and wonderful gardens, this property boasts a fabulous location, just a short walk from L’Isle sur la Sorgue.
This grand and beautiful property is an idyllic 18th century bastide.
A secluded property, this villa is surrounded by 5000m2 of gardens that are bordered by 300 year old plane trees, giving guests the privacy they need.
Family and friends will enjoy staying here as you dine al fresco in this quiet and natural environment.
The vast grounds offer so much to explore, with its vast lawns and inviting swimming pool.
Inside, the light filled dining room is fully air conditioned and boasts views over the grounds from the stunning floor to ceiling windows.
Two further lounges and a library can be found on the ground floor, whilst the kitchen will be loved by chefs wishing to prepare a feast.
Six elegant bedrooms can be found upstairs, with characterful terracotta floors and original window panes.
The second floor contains a family suite, ideal for those looking for a little more independence.
L’Isle sur la Sorgue is just a short cycle ride away, making it easy to explore this delightful town.
Don’t miss out on the atmospheric Sunday morning market.
- Large lounge-diner with sofas, TV, dining table and air-conditioning
- Dining room
- Second lounge with fireplace and billiard table
- Third lounge
- Kitchen, fully-equipped
- Bedroom 1 (35m2) with king-size double/twin bed, mini-fridge, Nespresso machine and adjoining shower room with separate WC
- Bedroom 2 (40m2) with king-size double/twin bed, Nespresso machine and adjoining bathroom with separate WC
- Bedroom 3 (45m2) with air-conditioning, king-size double/twin bed, mini-fridge, Nespresso machine and ensuite bathroom with separate WC
- Bedroom 4 (35m2) with air-conditioning, king-size double/twin bed, mini-fridge, Nespresso machine and ensuite shower room with separate WC. Connects to bedroom 5
- Bedroom 5 (15m2) with twin beds. Connects to bedroom 4
East Side Wing (first and second floor)
- Bedroom 6 (35m2) on second floor with queen-size bed, shower room and separate WC
- Bedroom 7 (35m2) on first floor with three single beds, shower room and WC
- Heated swimming pool (18mx8m), heated approximately May to end-September. Pool safety alarm
- Gas barbecue
- Pool house with kitchen/bar area, table tennis and 2 WCs
- Gardens (5000m2)
- Air-conditioning (in main living room and two bedrooms)
- Nespresso machines (in kitchen and four of the bedrooms)
- Mini-fridges (in three of the bedrooms)
- Billiard table
- Table tennis
- Bikes to hire
Bastide De L’Etranger is positioned in 5000m2 of glorious gardens, just 2km outside the famous Provençal town of L’Isle sur la Sorgue in the Luberon region of Provence. The villa has bikes that guests can borrow, the ideal way to reach the town in just 15-minutes, or it’s a leisurely walk or five-minute drive.
L’Isle sur la Sorgue is a much loved town because of its picturesque setting, almost like a little Venice, with its canals and various branches of the Sorgue river alongside its ancient water wheels. There are some wonderful restaurants, bars and shops including hundreds of antique and bric-à-brac dealers open throughout the year – this really is a special place to visit during any season.
The Sunday morning market in L’Isle sur la Sorgue is the biggest in the Luberon and people come from all over Provence and beyond. It’s a food market and brocante, selling all sorts of wonderful local produce alongside antiques and bric-à-brac. It’s one of the largest antiques market in Europe and there are even bigger markets when the International Antiques Fair takes place around Easter and August time.
All the family can hire canoes along the beautiful Sorgue river and sail from Fontaine de Vaucluse, the source of the river, to L’Isle sur la Sorgue. There is also some great trout fishing in the river – the town used to be a fishing village many years ago.
Keen cyclists should visit Mont Ventoux to experience one of France’s most famous routes whilst walkers should head to the Plateau de Vaucluse for some incredible hikes or discover amazing trails across the idyllic Luberon landscapes.
Golf-lovers should travel to Golf Saumane, only a ten-minute drive away whilst there are climbing opportunities near Buoux (36km), a tiny village with a castle not to be missed and now a mecca for rock-climbing.
You are also within close driving distance of the archetypal Provençal villages of Bonnieux (25km), Lacoste (22km), Roussillon (25km) and Van Gogh’s beloved Gordes (19km), one of France’s Plus Beaux Villages. Why not visit these beautiful villages on board a vintage Citroen 2CV, which is available to rent from the owners, a guide can also be arranged.
Further afield, some of the gems of this region are also within easy reach for wonderful trips across Provence such as Les Alpilles and its idyllic villages including Saint-Rémy-de-Provence (32km) and Les Baux-de-Provence (41km). Head north to the famous wine-growing region of Châteauneuf-du-Pape (35km) in the southern Rhône or there are also many wonderful wineries to discover closer to home.
Historic Avignon (28km), the capital of Provence, and Aix-en-Provence (72km), one of France's most beautiful university towns, are both under an hour away by car – Avignon can also be easily reached by train from L’Isle sur la Sorgue for a spectacular day out.
You can even reach the Mediterranean coast in little over an hour with the beaches of Marseille around 90km away. Cassis (117km) and the Calanques National Park, with its incredible scenery on the French Riviera, is only a 1hr 15 minute drive away.