9 Fantastic Things to Do in Essaouira
When tourists think of Morocco, they generally think of Marrakech. But there are so many more exciting holiday destinations in Morocco to consider. Essaouira - with its beautiful fortified walls, fishing harbour and Medina full of winding alleyways - is a coastal town not to be missed. It was designed by a Frenchman, and there is definitely a french feel to the fortress, but it's also quintessentially Moroccan. There are lots of things to do in Essaouira, so move on over Marrakech, you've had your time in the limelight...
1. Go for a camel ride on the beach or in the sand dunes
2. Try surfing or windsurfing
Essaouira beach is exposed to high winds and it has some fantastic waves coming straight of the Atlantic ocean, so it's a Mecca for water sports enthusiasts.
3. Explore the maze of winding streets inside the Medina
This UNESCO world-heritage site is the highlight of Essaouira. Spend a day exploring and discovering its many alleyways.
4. Sample the tasty olives from the market
5. Do some souvenir shopping in the souks of the Medina
6. Take a stroll through Essaouira fishing port
These blue fishing boats make a beautiful backdrop for holiday photos!
7. Soak up the scenery and the ancient architecture from the walls of the fortress
8. Have a cuddle with one of the many kittens inhabiting the Medina
9. And finally, we've saved the best until last. Drive into the countryside and see goats… climbing trees
Dying to explore the endless corridors of this Moroccan maze of a coastal town? If yes, then you should have a look at our villas and apartments in Essaouira...