14 Reasons Why Slovenia is Perfect For Your Next Adventure
by Felicity Brown | Updated 05 March 2020 | Posted in Top Lists, Destinations
“Where even is Slovenia?!” I hear you ask. And I don’t blame you, because it is not particularly well-known as a holiday destination. It’s a small country sandwiched between Croatia, Italy, Austria and Hungary, with some incredible natural landscapes and a welcoming rustic charm. In my opinion, it hasn't been given its just deserts. So here are Clickstay’s 14 reasons why Slovenia must be your next holiday destination.
1. It’s one of the least touristy destinations in Europe.
So you can be the first of your friends to explore this beautiful country. I'd start planning your trip now though, because people are starting to discover Slovenia's beauty and the number of tourists visiting each year is increasing rapidly.
2. There are beautiful mountains everywhere you look.
Slovenia’s territory is mostly mountainous, being home to the Dinaric Alps.
3. The capital – Ljubljana – is the its largest city and also happens to be one of Europe’s greenest.
"Car traffic is restricted in the centre, leaving the leafy banks of the emerald-green Ljubljanica River, which flows through the city's heart, free for pedestrians and cyclists." - The Lonely Planet
4. And it has some wonderful architecture...
The word 'Ljubljana' also translates to 'The Loved One', so it has to be worth a visit.
5. You can stay in a rustic cottage like this one in Karst.
Get the authentic, local experience from your holiday by booking a self-catering property like this.
6. Or you can relax in this wellness log cabin in the middle of the Triglav National Park.
This amazing lodge located on the beautiful Pokljuka inside the Triglav National Park was once one of Marshal Tito's residences - the former President of Yugoslavia. Originally built in 1939 in Plecnik style and completely
renovated in 2009, you can rent this property on the Clickstay website!
7. And the Triglav National Park is simply stunning, check this gorge out...
This is the Vintar Gorge. It is 1.6km long and winds its way vertical rocks of the Hom and Bort hills and is graced by the Radovna with its waterfalls, pools, and rapids. There's a wooden walk-way so you can explore right inside this rugged ravine, and peer down into the bright turquoise waters.
8. There are over 10,000 caves in Slovenia to discover.
This photo is inside the Škocjan caves. Due to their exceptional significance, the Škocjan Caves were entered onto UNESCO’s list of natural and cultural world heritage sites in 1986.
9. There's even a castle in a cave.
This is Predjama Castle, a 13th-century castle built in the Postojna cliff face cave, with restored living areas, dungeons & secret tunnel.
10. You can go fishing in the Soca River.
Then take your winnings home to cook for dinner in your self-catering kitchen!
11. Or if you're not into that, you can Kayak in those crystal-clear waters instead.
12. Slovenia is home to the Ski Jumping World Cup.
The Planica Nordic Center is the only one of its kind in the world. The 'flying hill' is where lots of record-breaking jumps have been made!
13. And the 'normal' skiing is pretty good too!
14. Basically, Slovenia is just PERFECT for anyone who loves the great outdoors.
If this blog post has got you itching to reconnect with nature and breath in that fresh-air, then take a look at our villas in Slovenia...