Colleton Hall And East Wing
Chateau with 9 bedrooms and 8 bathrooms in Witheridge, England
From £5,251 per week
Chateau to rent in Witheridge, England
NEW & EXCLUSIVE TO OLIVER'S TRAVELS – 2019
Welcome to the stunning grade II listed Colleton Hall and East Wing.
Share this holiday home
Chateau overview - owner's description
NEW & EXCLUSIVE TO OLIVER'S TRAVELS – 2019
Welcome to the stunning grade II listed Colleton Hall and East Wing. It holds a truly marvellous location, nestled within thirty-eight acres of private woodland and parkland, it offers those fortunate enough to stay the perfect country escape where they can enjoy total tranquillity. Its unspoilt location, set between Exmoor to the north and Dartmoor to the south, makes Colleton the perfect choice for those wishing to really explore Devon and all that it has to offer. While you will be staying in an area boasting rolling countryside, moorlands and valleys, the rugged north Devon coastline with its gorgeous beaches, is just a short car journey away.
The home boasts a rich and fascinating history and while it is believed to date back to Elizabethan times, Sir James Roupell Colleton purchased the Hall in 1833 and spent several years upgrading the house enhancing the existing Georgian features; today's style and architecture reflect this. In recent years, Colleton Hall has been completely refurbished by the present owners, revealing original features and now seamlessly blends its original character and charm with modern interiors and updated furnishings. Colleton Hall can comfortably accommodate up to twelve guests across six, well- appointed bedrooms. On the ground floor is the main living accommodation, the four grand reception rooms including a grand gothic reception hall are all south facing, overlooking the impressive grounds with doors leading onto the terraces. The large, family kitchen boasts all the tools a budding chef could possibly need! Upstairs on the first floor are the six bedrooms, three king-size doubles, two double rooms and a children's bunk bed room, each with en-suite bathroom or shower room. There are terraces from the West Wing bedroom and also the master en-suite overlooking the lake and parkland in the distance.
Large groups can be comfortably accommodated in the additional East Wing, taking the total number of guests up to 18. The stylish East Wing is a separate annex with a private entrance hall, living room, kitchen and 3 well-appointed bedrooms. Making it ideal for young families or older members of the party who require additional privacy.
The real wow factor can be found outside, the grounds are south facing which allows guests to enjoy wonderful countryside views. The expansive grounds offer the opportunity for long walks through the totally private woodland alongside the stream which flows to the Little Dart River. The children are bound to enjoy wildlife spotting with the opportunity to see a range of diverse wildlife (including red deer) and birdlife!
COLLETON HALL | 6 Bedrooms & 6 Bathrooms | Sleeps 12
- Main hall
- Drawing room with open fireplace
- Dining room with 18 seater regency dining table and log burner
- Grand reception hall with sweeping staircase
- Kitchen with electric range cooker, combi microwave, large larder fridge, dishwasher, wood burner and built-in in Bosch coffee machine and smart TV
- Pantry with wine chiller
- Catering kitchen/ utility room with AGA, electric hob, dishwsher, larder, fridge, upright freezer & two washing machines
- Games room with quarter size snooker/pool table
- Good size boot-room
- 2 downstairs cloakrooms
There are two staircases leading to:
- Master bedroom with king-size bed, luxury en-suite bathroom, smart TV and access to private terrace
- Bedroom with king-size bed, double size en-suite shower room, smart TV and access to private terrace
- Bedroom with king-size bed, smart TV and en-suite bathroom
- Bedroom with double bed, smart TV and en-suite shower-room
- Bedroom with double bed, smart TV and en-suite bathroom
- Children's bedroom with single bed or bunk beds with en-suite bathroom
EAST WING | 3 Bedrooms & 2 Bathrooms | Sleeps 6
- Open plan ground floor with sitting area, dining table and kitchen with central island
- Kitchen comprises electric range cooker, combi microwave, dishwasher, fridge/freezer and washer/drier
- Master Bedroom with Double bed and smart TV with ensuite shower room with hand basin, WC and shower
- Bedroom with twin Single beds
- Bedroom with double bed
- Family Bathroom with handbasin, WC and bath with shower over.
- All bedrooms face South with views over the lake and Park.
- 3 acres of gardens
- 10 acres of parkland including a walkway through a bluebell dell
- 25 acres of private woodland
- Picnic areas
- Gas barbecue
- Spring-fed lake (ideal for the canoe or for those that fancy a dark water swim)
- Sonos sound system to all ground floor rooms with sub-woofer in the reception hall
- Baby grand piano
- Wi-Fi with CAT6 cabling
- USB points in all bedrooms
- Selection of board games/DVDs
- Canoe for the lake
- Plant room
- Iron/ ironing board
- Parking for up to 14 cars
The near-by villages of Nomansland, Rackenford and Witheridge together offer helpful amenities including excellent pubs, post offices, village stores and restaurants. The Michelin award-winning restaurant The Mason Arms is just a 10-minute car journey away in Knowestone, while The Stagg Inn, said to be the oldest pub in Devon, is just over a mile away in Rackenford. The old market town of Tiverton is 15 minutes away, set on the banks of River Exe, it boasts its very own Castle,canal walk and a wider range of fantastic amenities with a large variety of shops, supermarkets and restaurants. South Molton and Barnstaple offer weekly pannier markets with a wide range of local produce.
There is plenty to see, do and explore in the surrounding area, Exmoor National Park is just 20-minutes from Colleton Hall, while buzzing Exeter is half an hour away, enjoy a fun-filled day spent in the ancient city after a scenic car journey through the Exe Valley. For the beach bums and keen surfers, there is easy access to the popular beaches of Saunton Sands, Woolacombe and Lynton, all less than an hour away.
There is easy road access to Colleton Hall for those coming from all directions, situated just 20 minutes from Junction 27 of the M5 and 5 minutes from the A361. For those travelling by train, Tiverton Parkway station is just twenty minutes away, from here it is possible to reach London Paddington in just two hours. For those arriving by air, Exeter Airport is just 35 minutes away, Bristol Airport is reachable in 1 hour and 15 minutes.
This chateau does not have any reviews but the agent has 13 reviews for their other properties.
Outside this chateau in Witheridge, EnglandThis chateau has a barbecue.
Prices and availability
Updated 28 May 2020
- Your booking
- Available start/end date
Select your travel dates on the calendar
Changeover days and minimum stays
- 1 June - 2 July 2020: changeover days are Monday and Friday and the minimum stay is 3 nights.
- 3 July - 27 August 2020: changeover days are Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday and the minimum stay is 3 nights.
- 28 August - 17 December 2020: changeover days are Monday and Friday and the minimum stay is 3 nights.
- 18 December 2020 - 7 January 2021: the minimum stay is 3 nights.
- 8 January - 11 February 2021: changeover days are Monday and Friday and the minimum stay is 3 nights.
- 12 February - 8 April 2021: changeover days are Monday, Friday and Sunday and the minimum stay is 3 nights.
- 9 April - 28 November 2021: changeover days are Monday and Friday and the minimum stay is 3 nights.
Refundable Breakage Deposit
£1,000.00 per booking, paid locally
9 ensuite bedrooms, Sleeps 18
8 bathrooms including 9 en suites
Central heating, Open fire
Snooker / pool table
Agency From London, United Kingdom Member since Apr 2015
Past bookings: 40 bookings
Response rate: 92%
Response time: within 23 hours
Last seen: 3 days ago
Number of properties: over 1,000