Prieure St Therese
Villa with 6 bedrooms, 5 bathrooms and private pool in Pressigny, France
Booking cost: £0.00
Pay onlybooking deposit
From £1,883 per week
Villa to rent in Pressigny, France
Villa overview - owner's description
This beautiful medieval priory is now an Oliver's Travels award–winning luxury holiday destination in Charente.
This beautiful medieval priory is now an Oliver's Travels award–winning luxury holiday destination in Charente. Located in the tiny village of Pressigny on private grounds adjacent to the church and within the Deux-Sevres, this luxury French manor house, converted to a priory in the fourteenth century, sleeps twelve adults in six bedrooms and can accommodate an additional four children.
Relax by the heated pool, dine al fresco at one of the great outdoor tables and enjoy the beauty of the rose covered walled gardens that surround the property knowing that children and pets are completely secure.
Six delightful bedrooms accommodate up to sixteen guests. The high ceilinged, beamed rooms, ancient wooden floors and honey coloured stone walls are a perfect backdrop for the mix of antique family furniture and pictures. The kids will enjoy playtime in the bright, colourful games room with its cool turret and arrow slits (no budding archers allowed to shoot the guests!).
The house is well appointed. The kitchen has a gas range, microwave, washing machine, dish washer and American fridge freezer as well as kettle, coffee machine, toaster and iron and ironing board. Hair dryers are provided in the bedrooms. There are cots, high chairs, baby bath, changing mat and pushchair available for little people. Satellite TV, Bang and Olufson radio and record deck , internet connection, bicycles and house i-pad are provided for the enjoyment of guests. All linen and towels are provided.
Within 20 km of the house lie a number of activities for the whole family. From great local food markets, vide greniers and country trail walks to riding, lake fishing and canoeing, there is a plethora of activities in the area. You'll find a supermarket, cafes, and bars just 7 km away in Thenezay; the beautiful medieval town of St. Loup is fifteen minutes from the house and Fururescope an hour away. The Atlantic coastline with it's stunning beaches and the historic towers of La Rochelle are just an hour and a half away, but why hit the roads when you have such a peaceful and beautiful place to rest and relax in.
And, for those who truly want to relax, full catering is offered by your hostess.
The Priory has been immaculately restored and renovated both inside and out. It is filled with antiques and objets d'art and is an absolute gem amongst treasures. With its original stonework it stands in splendour, privately enclosed in its own grounds.
- Kitchen fully equipped wit a stunning ancient stone chimneypiece, a French range cooker, an American Fridge freezer and a second drinks fridge. There is a washing machine, Kenwood chef, microwave, four slice toaster and kettle as well as the normal utensils required in a working kitchen.
- Dining room that seats 12 with an additional four seats in the adjoining kitchen should there be further children as guests in the party
- Drawing room which seats ten to twelve and has a baby grand piano, two sofas, a number of individual armchairs and a wood burning fire
- Study with further sitting area
- Bathroom with bath, shower, loo and bidet
First Floor (reached by a stone spiral staircase)
- Master bedroom with private, attached shower room, basin and loo (overlooks the valley and the garden). Extra single bed for a child available.
- Bedroom 2 with a four poster bed and attached retro shower room, loo and basin (overlooks the valley and the garden). Extra single bed for a child available.
- Bedroom 3 with double bed (overlooking the valley)
- Bedroom 4 with double bed (particularly cool in the summer heat, ideal for parents with a young child)
Second Floor (reached by a stone spiral staircase)
- Large games room with two extra beds for children, a fifty five inch smart TV, ideal for cinema nights, toys, games, books, dressing up box and a turret with arrow slits that is a perfect corner for small people to curl up in and enjoy a good story from the hundreds of children's books (in English).
- Bedroom 5 with double bed and en-suite bathroom
- Bedroom 6 with double bed and en-suite bathroom
The garden surrounds the house, enclosed in an ancient stone wall that has been planted with stunningly scented English climbing roses. Amongst the trees and bushes in the garden are fig, walnut, crab apple, pear and cherries.
There is a green mosaic swimming pool with Roman steps. Loungers are placed around the pool.
There are a number of outdoor eating areas - there is a barbecue adjacent to a loggia that seats twelve. Additional seating can be provided adjacent to the loggia for more guests, and there is a table closer to the pool available that seats twelve.
There is a grass lawn, where games can be played and shaded areas under trees ideal for reading that great summer novel.
- Sat TV (55 inch)
- Indoor games (eg. chess)
- Garden games
- House I-Pad
This stunning 14th century Priory is situated in the heart of Pressigny village, among some of France's most beautiful unspoiled countryside. The nearest airport is Poitiers (35km). The nearest train station is Parthenay (10km) and the nearest town is Thenezay (7km).
In the village, close to the house, a basketball hoop, boules pitch and a small children's playground provide further entertainment should young people be in the party
- Country trail walks - just step outside the gates.
- Horse riding (5km)
- Golf (20/40 km)
- Fishing (5km)
- Lake (12km)
- Lakeside beach (20km)
- Canoeing (12km)
- Windsurfing (12km)
- Thenezay (7km): Bank, supermarket, bakery, patisserie, iron mongers, florist, cafe, bar, petrol station, pizza take away, post office, tabac, local market on Sunday mornings.
- Gourge (7km): Convenience store, Post office, Restaurant, Bar, Steak and Pizza house, Garage.
- St.Loup (9km): Restaurant, Bar, Pizzeria, Convenience store, Bakery, Post Office, Tabac.
- Parthenay (15km): Everything from Hypermarket, Supermarket, independently owned shops, bars and restaurants, banks and a fabulous market on a Wednesday morning.
- Thouars (25km): Probably the best of local markets on a Friday morning. Fantastic fresh fish, meat, fruit and vegetables as well as gifts etc.
Futuroscope: (Poitiers 30 minutes drive time) Futuroscope is France's largest educational theme park.
The Aquarium: (La Rochelle, 90 minutes drive time), open 365 days a year. Dream, understand and learn about the sea. A 2 hour journey into the depths of the sea. 10,000 Atlantic, Mediterranean and Tropical species in 3 million litres of water, 65 aquariums open like a window into the ocean world. The largest shark aquarium displays 20 species in 1.5 million litres of sea water. A 360° tunnel allows you to walk on water, surrounded by jellyfish. A must for everyone!
Chateaux of the Loire: These numerous historical and beautiful castles can easily be visited- with Saumur's chateau located just 45 minutes away. This is a rare example of the 14th century architecture and it marks the end of the middle ages and the beginning of the renaissance. It offers a wide variety of medieval events over the summer. The chateaux of Chenonceau, Chambord, Montreuil-Bellay, Ambois, Villandry and Ussee are all within drivable distance.
Vineyards and Tastings: The nearest vineyards are about 10 miles away where it is possible to taste and purchase local wines, however, the following gives an idea of others sites within reach:
- The Musee du vignoble Nantais: (Nantes wine museum).
- Ackerman Laurence Caves: At Saumur
- Domaine de Pas au Loup: Wines of the Haut-Poitou (10minutes).
- Domaine de villement: (20minutes).
- Route des vins du Haut-Poitou: 25 vineyards within an hour, from Pressigny where it is a pleasure to taste Savignon, Cabernet, Chardonnay and Gamay wines, all of which can be purchased from the vineyard, direct.
- Caves Bouvet - Ladubay: (Saumur) open every day from 8am-6pm. June to September. Eight kilometres of wine cellars, 150 years of tradition, 194 medals of distinction awarded since 1972.
- Combier: (Saumur) Founded in 1834. Discover the secrets and techniques from the 19th century still used today. The copper stills and hands-on experience of these distillers provide liquors and wines.
- Cognac: (75 minutes drive time) guided tours all year round provided by “Martell” and “Camus” (by appointment) in low season.
La Rochelle: The Atlantic coast (90 minutes drive time) The three towers of La Rochelle, Saint Nicolas and the 14th century lantern are the remains of the town's fortifications. A visit to the town's beach and the nearby beaches can be combined with a day of shopping in some wonderful vaulted boutiques as well as enjoying the fayre of local sea food restaurants.
The Isle de Re: Island just on the approach to La Rochelle with unspoiled beaches and countryside.
Poitiers: (30 minutes drive) 2000 years of art and history. A town with over 100 church towers including “Notre-Dame-La-Grande”. Good local shopping, bars and restaurants.
This villa does not have any reviews but the agent has 2 reviews for their other properties.
This villa is:
Outside this villa in Pressigny, FranceThis villa has a pool and a children pool.
Prices and availability
Updated 17 December 2017
Select your travel dates on the calendar
Changeover days and minimum stays
- 17 December 2017 - 30 December 2024: changeover day is Saturday and the minimum stay is 2 nights.
Refundable Breakage Deposit
£882.22 per booking, paid locally
6 bedrooms, Sleeps 16
DVD/Blu-ray player, Internet / WiFi, TV, Satellite / cable
Central heating, Car hire optional