Chateau Des Siecles
Chateau with 13 bedrooms, 13 bathrooms and private pool in Mailly-le-Château, France
From £11,290 per week
Chateau to rent in Mailly-le-Château, France
For an unforgettable group holiday in one of the most coveted regions of France, look no further than this remarkable 19th century chateau in Burgundy. Situated high above the French countryside.
Share this holiday home
Chateau overview - owner's description
For an unforgettable group holiday in one of the most coveted regions of France, look no further than this remarkable 19th century chateau in Burgundy. Situated high above the French countryside, the historic home provides unobstructed panoramic views from nearly every vantage point.
Encompassing a central courtyard and enclosed by ancient fortified walls, the hamlet consists of 13 thoughtfully designed bedrooms dispersed throughout the Main House, the Commons, The Caves, and the Pavilions.
Two medieval vaulted caves have been converted into spacious suites, with monumental fireplaces and period furnishings. The 19th century main house sits atop the caves, with six bedrooms and numerous terraces to soak up the abundant scenery. The Commons holds three bedrooms plus a kids' room within two 17th century buildings, while the Pavilions contain two light-filled studios with kitchens.
All accommodation and common spaces are beautifully designed and warmly inviting, with comfortable furnishings, an open-plan floor space and traditional charm. Guests will enjoy access to spectacular pool, gardens, bikes, indoor games, and a cinema/conference room.
There's lots to do nearby, including wineries within a 25-minute drive, medieval towns to explore, and a bike bath that runs along the Canal Nivernais, just to name a few.
- Large salon opening out onto the back terrace
- Study with its own private terrace
- Billiard room
Large country kitchen, opening out onto a balcony where one can enjoy breakfast in the morning sun, with lovely views of the cliffs in the distance.
First Floor (5 bedrooms*, one 2-bed suite and 6 bathrooms)
Bedroom 8 has a double bed (140cm) and a stand-up shower
- Bedroom 9 has a queen-size bed (160cm) and a very small bathroom with a stand-up shower
- Bedroom 10 has a queen-size bed (160cm) and a bathroom with bathtub and hand-held shower
- Bedroom 11 has a double bed (140cm) with a bathroom accessed off the hall with a stand up shower
*please note the 5th bedroom will not be available in 2020.
Bedrooms 8-11 overlook the courtyard and are each about 20-30m2
- Bedroom 12/13 is a two-bedroom suite with a queen size bed (160cm) and valley views plus an adjoining dressing room with an additional small double bed (140cm). En-suite bathroom with bathtub and handheld shower. Bedrooms 12/13 (about 60m2 in total) are best used in the summer months
Bedroom 14 (about 20m2) has a queen size bed (160 cm) and en-suite bathroom with a stand up shower. Beautiful valley views
The Commons (three bedrooms and a child's room, all centrally air-conditioned)
Bedroom 4 (about 30m2) has a walk-in closet, a fairly large bathroom with Jacuzzi tub with a very nice view of the courtyard and pool in the distance
- Bedroom 5 (about 90m2) is a very large room with two queen sized beds (160cm each), one small double bed (140cm) and a medium sized bathroom with a bathtub and handheld shower. The rear doors of this bedroom open up onto the elevated garden behind. In the front it has a lovely view over the courtyard and the valley in the distance
- Bedroom 6 consists of a main bedroom with double bed (160cm) with en-suite bathroom and stand up shower
Bedroom 7 (adjoining bedroom 6 or can be accessed from the stairwell hall) is small with a single bed and pretty valley views
Bedrooms 4 and 5 are accessed from one stairwell, bedrooms 6 and 7 are accessed from another stairwell
The Caves (accessed via steps)
The first Cave (50-60m2) is air conditioned and has a small bedroom tucked into the tower with a double bed (140cm), a large living room with a king-size bed (180cm) and an open-plan kitchenette plus a bathroom with stand up shower and a Jacuzzi tub. It has magnificent views over the valley. The pool area can be accessed directly from a door in the hallway.
The second Cave has a large living room (about 70sq m), full sized kitchen, a large bedroom with a king-size bed (180cm) and a bathroom with a sit down steam shower. The bedroom of the second Cave is air conditioned. The rear door of the second Cave opens up onto the pool area. The second Cave benefits from magnificent views over the valley in front.
- Pavillion One is a smaller studio (about 30m2) with a sleeping area with a queen-size bed (160cm), kitchenette, air-conditioning and a small sitting area in the back. It has a fairly small bathroom with a sit-down shower
- Pavillion Two is a large studio (about 50m2) with a sleeping area with a queen-size bed (160cm), kitchenette and air-conditioning plus a medium sized bathroom with bathtub and hand-held shower
Both have original stone flooring (which can be uneven at times). They both open up onto the central courtyard (with access to the main house across the courtyard).
- Private heated swimming pool (18x6m)
- Poolside terrace and garden
- Two gas grills, one on each terrace
- Stone terraces
- Bikes are in studio (or in the parking area) as is the ping pong table.
- Cinema room is on top of the studio.
- Cushions to the lounge chairs on back terrace are in the tower off of the back terrace.
- Extra towels are in the armoire in the entrance hall to the 19th century house.
- Extra sheets are in the large armoire in the storage utility cave.
- There is a laundry area for your use in the storage utility cave.
The Chateau is located in northern Burgundy, about a two hour drive south east of Paris, in a beautifully bucolic region of farmland and meandering waterways.
Activities include biking (along the bike path that runs most of the length of the Canal Nivernais or alongback country roads through farmland and forest), boating, rock climbing, hot air ballooning and tennis.
The medieval hill-town of Vezelay is within a twenty minute drive from the Chateau. The twelfth century basilica of Mary Magdalene crowning its hilltop contains some of the finest examples of early Romanesque sculpture.
The Chablis, Irancy and St. Bris vineyards are within a twenty minute drive from the Chateau. The Meursault and Montrachet vineyards are just over an hours' drive south. Wine tours to the many vineyards in the area can be arranged.
- Horse back riding
- Tennis: T
- Hot Air Ballooning
- Grottes D'Arcy
- Chateau of Ancy
- Chateau de Tanlay
This chateau does not have any reviews but the agent has 12 reviews for their other properties.
This chateau is:
Outside this chateau in Mailly-le-Château, FranceThis chateau is near the waterfront. It has a pool and a barbecue.
Prices and availability
Updated 30 November 2019
- Your booking
- Available start/end date
Select your travel dates on the calendar
Changeover days and minimum stays
- 25 January 2020 - 30 May 2021: the minimum stay is 7 nights.
Refundable Breakage Deposit
£841.96 per booking, paid locally
13 ensuite bedrooms, Sleeps 33
13 bathrooms including 13 en suites
Private pool with electric heating
DVD/Blu-ray player, Internet / WiFi, Satellite / cable
Air conditioning, Central heating, Open fire
Agency From London, United Kingdom Member since Apr 2015
Past bookings: 39 bookings
Response rate: 91%
Response time: within 23 hours
Last seen: 2 days ago
Number of properties: over 1,000