Cottage with 7 bedrooms, 4 bathrooms and private pool in West Dean, England
From £3,496 per week
Cottage to rent in West Dean, England
A grade II listed manor with its own heated private pool, set within 2 acres of gardens amid the forests of Gloucestershire.
Share this holiday home
Cottage overview - owner's description
A grade II listed manor with its own heated private pool, set within 2 acres of gardens amid the forests of Gloucestershire, this 17th century country home offers grandure and historic intrigue in equal amounts.
Originally built by order of Charles II, today Darsey Lodge enjoys the same seclusion with nature, offering stunning landscapes and private gardens that include woodland, herb and vegetable greenhouses, and a magical walled garden with carp pond.
Six double bedrooms offer the finest in stylish comfort, each made up with Egyptian cotton sheets, and duck feather duvets, toppers and pillows. The main bathroom boasts a walk in in marble shower and Phillipe Starck designer tapware, and Bulgari shampoo and shower gel are provided as standard.
There's also more than enough space to entertain or chill out with friends and family, whether round the pool on a warm summers day, or on the cosy sofas snuggled in front of the wood burner. There's also a Dining hall and even a library where one can enjoy quiet moments of solace away from the rest of the group, and of course there's always the thousands of acres of woodland immediately surrounding the property for romantic walks or exploring!
The property is surrounded by dry stone walls and fences with electric gates at the entrance for privacy and security. Facilities include a heated outdoor swimming pool, a gym, a log fire situated within a huge stone fireplace, as well as patio areas for al-fresco eating. A gas barbeque is available for use by guests and the house has ample parking facilities.
- Dining room: Although the property sleeps 14, the dining table will accommodate 12 at the most (it easily accommodates 10).
- Kitchen/Breakfast room: Fully equiped kitchen with a small informal dining table in the kitchen which accommodates a further 4 people.
- Utility room
- TV room
- Library with sofa bed: Double bed (133 x 180) - shares use of main bathroom or could use ensuite to Priest Hole bedroom. The Priest Hole bedroom and Library are at the other end of the house to the main stairway and the Priest Hole bedroom has it's own set of stairs leading to it.
- Master bedroom: Super King size bed (180 x 200cm), ensuite bathroom containing bath with shower over bath
- Front Bedroom (beside Main) : Super King size Zip and Link Bed (180 x 200cm) or 2 x 90cm x 200cm single beds. This bedroom shares the use of main bathroom
- Rear bedroom (behind Main) : King size bed (180 x 190cm) This bedroom shares the use of the main bathroom
- Main bathroom : Large (2000 x 800) bath and walk in shower, Phillippe Starck taps and Porcelanosa glass sink.
- Priest Hole bedroom (behind false book case off library) : Super King size bed (180 x 200cm) - ensuite bathroom with large walk in shower. No bath.
- Main Attic bedroom (2nd floor) : Super King size bed (180 x 200cm) - ensuite bathroom containing roll top bath. Handheld shower spray attachment on bath (not able to stand up and shower).
- Small Attic bedroom (2nd floor) : Double bed (120 x 190cm) - shares use of main bathroom, or could use ensuite to Main Attic bedroom (both bedrooms can be shut off via door at the bottom of the second flight of stairs).
The grounds contain a mix of mature gardens, wild areas and private woodland, including a pond, a walled garden containing a carp pond, a greenhouse containing various herbs and vegetables, which visitors can enjoy in summer and a kitchen garden containing raised herb beds.
Please also note that the pool is only open during the Spring/Summer months (April to September). The pool heating will only be turned on if the temperature is forecast to be higher than 20 degrees and relatively good during your stay.
It is common to see wildlife in and around the house. There are owls living in a tree within the grounds, and deer and wild boar can often be seen in the forest nearby.
Kestrels often visit and perch in trees near to the house and there is a multitude of other birdlife in and near the house. Foxes sometimes visit and can be heard calling at night and the pond contains newts, frogs, tadpoles (at the right time of year) and a few goldfish.
Ducks (and sometimes a large Heron) visit the pond at various times of the year. As the house is situated in the middle of the forest, there are fantastic walks and mountain biking trails which can be accessed directly from the gates in the perimeter of the house's grounds.
From April to June, the bluebells are out in the woods surrounding the house, as well as within the grounds. The bluebell woods at Soudley are a short 5 minute walk down the hill from the House.
A number of pubs are situated within around 10 minutes walking distance from the house and a number of further pubs and restaurants can be recommended within easy driving distance. Go Ape, the outdoor tree top adventure park at Mallard's pike, is around 10 minutes walk from the house through the woods.
This cottage does not have any reviews but the agent has 14 reviews for their other properties.
This cottage is:
Outside this cottage in West Dean, EnglandThis cottage has a pool and a barbecue.
Prices and availability
Updated 17 October 2019
- Your booking
- Available start/end date
Select your travel dates on the calendar
Changeover days and minimum stays
- 19 October - 27 October 2019: the minimum stay is 5 nights.
- 28 October - 17 December 2019: the minimum stay is 3 nights.
- 18 December 2019 - 1 January 2020: the minimum stay is 5 nights.
- 2 January - 14 March 2020: the minimum stay is 3 nights.
- 15 March - 15 April 2020: the minimum stay is 5 nights.
- 16 April - 16 October 2020: the minimum stay is 3 nights.
- 17 October - 25 October 2020: the minimum stay is 5 nights.
- 26 October - 15 December 2020: the minimum stay is 3 nights.
- 16 December - 30 December 2020: the minimum stay is 5 nights.
- 31 December 2020 - 13 March 2021: the minimum stay is 3 nights.
- 14 March - 14 April 2021: the minimum stay is 5 nights.
- 15 April - 15 October 2021: the minimum stay is 3 nights.
- 16 October - 24 October 2021: the minimum stay is 5 nights.
- 25 October - 14 December 2021: the minimum stay is 3 nights.
- 15 December - 29 December 2021: the minimum stay is 5 nights.
- 30 December 2021 - 17 October 2022: the minimum stay is 3 nights.
Refundable Breakage Deposit
£1,000.00 per booking, paid locally
7 bedrooms, Sleeps 14
Private pool with electric heating
DVD/Blu-ray player, Internet / WiFi
Central heating, Open fire
Hen or stag groups, Pets
Agency From London, United Kingdom Member since Apr 2015
Past bookings: 39 bookings
Response rate: 91%
Response time: within 22 hours
Last seen: 13 hours ago
Number of properties: over 1,000