Culver Down Manor
Chateau with 7 bedrooms and 5 bathrooms in Shanklin, England
From £2,495 per week
Chateau to rent in Shanklin, England
One of the Isle of Wight's most exceptional properties, Culver Down Manor is an elegant art-deco mansion overlooking Sandown Bay from a prime clifftop setting. Built in the 1920's.
Share this holiday home
Chateau overview - owner's description
One of the Isle of Wight's most exceptional properties, Culver Down Manor is an elegant art-deco mansion overlooking Sandown Bay from a prime clifftop setting. Built in the 1920's, this building maintains glorious original features, including huge shimmering garden water features, statues and stain glass windows that frame the striking coastal vistas reaching out to Culver Cliff.
As you step into the reception area you are instantly transported back in time, from the piano and ornamental period lampshades to the wooden panelling and even the old boot cleaner.
The rooms each offer an abundance of floor space, and are all tastefully furnished to continue the art-deco experience within spaces filled with softly reflected natural light.
The magnificent 22 seater dining table and the grand lounge area are the perfect spaces to arrange a family get together or reunion of friends as part of an incredible self-catering holiday, where you can be in absolute privacy within this architectural masterpiece.
The large entrance hall with grand staircase and beautiful stained glass windows is sure to impress guests upon entering the property. This has been thoughtfully appointed with coat stands, a boot cleaner, two benches, three arm chairs, a tourist information leaflet display stand, bureau, writing desk, plus a piano ensuring the space is fully utilised.
The formal dining room has half wood panelled walls and solid wood vintage retro dining table seating up to 22, and a music system is available for the guests enjoyment also. Lighting levels are very good with two ceiling and four wall lights, plus 3 freestanding lamps allowing guests to create mood lighting if desired.
The ground floor conservatory is the perfect place to sit and relax and enjoy views of the gardens.
The morning room, accessed from either the hallway or conservatory, serves as a second living area or bedroom 7 for occasional use and has been furnished with two day beds. A coffee table, TV with DVD player, music system, small selection of books and DVDs plus a wardrobe stocked with board games are all in place for the guests enjoyment and entertainment.
The spacious and bright living room is furnished with five large sofa's and four armchairs to ensure all the guests can comfortably socialise together. Flexible lighting levels are provided by two ceiling lights, four wall lights and four freestanding lamps, and the room is effectively warmed by central heating, plus a fire is available as an additional heat source in the cooler months.
High quality occasional furniture is supplied for guests convenience including a coffee table and 6 side tables. Entertainment is provided by a large flat screen TV and Sonos music system plus a small selection of books and magazines are supplied for the guests enjoyment.
Master Bedroom/Bridal Suite
King size bed under a wonderful large Art Deco round window and amazing views across the sea. There is a chaise longue, plus a short day-bed suitable for a child. The room offers plenty of space that provides room for a cot. The room certainly boasts the best panoramic sea views from the house and also opens to the upstairs sunroom.
A king size bedroom which opens to the upstairs sunroom with panoramic sea views
The Family Bedroom (Bedroom 3)
Well proportioned bedroom with double bed. There are two additional single beds available in this room.
A king size bedroom and en-suite bathroom. The room has stunning sea views
A little smaller than the other bedrooms, but is a duplex room. A king size bed side sea view and view to the front of the house Bedroom
Downstairs Two single beds with memory foam mattresses. Wheelchair access (private front door) and a wet room (disabled access en-suite shower). Facing the front of the house, but next to the kitchen for sneaky midnight snacks.
Morning Room (Optional Bedroom 7, Downstairs)
Two day beds (both singles), as this room is really a secondary lounge. Perfect for two adults or teenagers Room for a cot Opens into the downstairs sun room and lovely garden views
Please Note: There is limited flexibility to change the bed arrangements. One wooden cot and two additional travel cots are available. Visitors will need to provide their own bedding and sheets for all cots. Visitors may bring additional travel cots with prior approval. Please note that all the rooms throughout 2015 are subject to change in both the furniture and the decorations.
Culver Down Manor is located about a mile from the town of Shanklin, where the Isle of Wight railway terminates. We have ample parking for 6 cars, but you can also come on foot, catching the train from Waterloo, London to Portsmouth Harbour, getting the Cat over and then the Island Train (a 1930's Central Line tube train...honestly!). Get an inclusive ticket!
The Isle of Wight is like going back to 1950's England, the pace is slower, and the pubs are wonderful. We have provided a large secure outhouse for devoted cyclists, although you can hire a bike locally very easily. There is a golf club about 5 miles away, but you might get distracted by the pubs on the way back.
From the house, there are wonderful cliff top walks (or runs), and you are right above the Blue Flag beach (actually it is a lot of steps to get down, perfect for walking off the dinner). There are lots of cycle routes across the island. Of course there are many local attractions, but bring a book, sit in the sunroom and enjoy the 3/4 acre gardens and spectacular views over the bay.
The whole of the Isle of Wight awaits you.
At an additional charge a range of services can be provided:
1. License pending, but expect to be granted March 2015 for you to pre-order Champagnes, large bottles of wine (magnums and up), fine wines, desert wines.
2. 1930's Cream Tea, served in antique bone china cups, old style sandwiches and cakes for that authentic afternoon trip back in time.
3. Freshly prepared dinners, delivered in tray ready for you to pop into the oven, lovingly created by leading chefs of the Island.
4. A fully catered dinner, freshly cooked on the premises by professional chefs.
5. Cakes for any occasion, custom made according to your specification.
This chateau does not have any reviews but the agent has 13 reviews for their other properties.
This chateau is:
Outside this chateau in Shanklin, EnglandThis chateau has a barbecue.
Prices and availability
Updated 5 June 2020
- Your booking
- Available start/end date
Select your travel dates on the calendar
Changeover days and minimum stays
- 7 June - 18 June 2020: changeover day is Friday and the minimum stay is 3 nights.
- 19 June - 2 July 2020: changeover days are Friday and Saturday and the minimum stay is 2 nights.
- 3 July - 3 September 2020: changeover day is Friday and the minimum stay is 7 nights.
- 4 September - 17 September 2020: changeover days are Friday and Saturday and the minimum stay is 3 nights.
- 18 September - 15 October 2020: the minimum stay is 3 nights.
- 23 October - 29 October 2020: the minimum stay is 7 nights.
- 30 October - 20 December 2020: changeover days are Friday and Saturday and the minimum stay is 3 nights.
- 21 December 2020 - 7 January 2021: the minimum stay is 7 nights.
- 8 January - 11 February 2021: the minimum stay is 3 nights.
- 12 February - 18 February 2021: the minimum stay is 7 nights.
- 19 February - 1 April 2021: the minimum stay is 3 nights.
- 2 April - 22 April 2021: the minimum stay is 7 nights.
- 23 April - 27 May 2021: the minimum stay is 3 nights.
- 28 May - 3 June 2021: the minimum stay is 7 nights.
- 4 June - 15 July 2021: the minimum stay is 3 nights.
- 16 July - 9 September 2021: the minimum stay is 7 nights.
- 10 September - 15 October 2021: the minimum stay is 3 nights.
- 16 October - 28 October 2021: the minimum stay is 7 nights.
- 29 October - 5 December 2021: the minimum stay is 3 nights.
Refundable Breakage Deposit
£1,000.00 per booking, paid locally
7 bedrooms, Sleeps 14
Agency From London, United Kingdom Member since Apr 2015
Past bookings: 40 bookings
Response rate: 92%
Response time: within 22 hours
Last seen: 19 hours ago
Number of properties: over 1,000