Talcomb, Cosy Country Cottage
Cottage with 2 bedrooms and 1 bathroom in Lakes, England
From £299 per week
Cottage to rent in Lakes, England
Talcomb is one of six cottages converted from a water driven saw mill built circa 1740
Share this holiday home
Cottage overview - owner's description
Talcomb is one of six cottages converted from a water driven saw mill built circa 1740.
It is situated at the foot of Seldom Seen Revine in the quiet and aptly named hamlet of Seldom Seen, on the outskirts of Thornthwaite Village, Talcomb nestles beside the comb beck overlooking a sparkling waterfall. This can be your starting point for many walks up in to the Winlatter Forest or on the surrounding fells. The larger village of Braithwaite is only one mile away where you can visit a country pub or dine in one of the hotels or bars, or alternatively the bustling market town of Keswick with its many shops, pubs and restaurants is only 3 miles away. There is a regular bus route that runs at the bottom of the road should you not wish to drive or walk
The cottage briefly comprises:
Two bedrooms – one double, one twin
The lounge and dining area has a wonderful cosy feel due to the low ceilings and oak beams and real coal fire.The double glazed window ovelooks the wooded area opposite.This area is equipped with text colour TV,Video player complete with a selection of videos, radio, cassette and CD player,and is furnished with two comfortable settees and a dining table and 4 chairs.
The kitchen has all the pots, pans and utensils you need to make a tasty sandwich or a dinner party for 4. There is a oven and hob, microwave oven, toaster and kettle. There is a washer/dryer should you need it.
The Main double room has views out over Comb Beck and views towards Winlatter Forest this room has a wonderful cosy feel due to the low ceilings and oak beams it is furnished with pine furniture and matching bed linen. The Twin bedroom has views out over the wooded area opposite and again is furnished with pine furniture and matching bed linen.
The bathroom is downstairs and has a shower, toilet and sink. (no bath)
There is a graveled area with space for one car, seating outside the cottage and for those sunny days there is patio furniture in the lounge cupbaord that you can put out
Sleeps 4 + Cot
Walking from the door
Real coal fire
Bed linen included
Tv,video, CD player
Well behaved pets allowed
Talcomb is available for long and short breaks
This cottage has 18 verified reviews.
18 out of 18 people recommend staying here
Great cosy cottage in a lovely quiet location. Wonderful walks from the door up into whinlatter forest.
Saw a red squirrel everyday from the window and lots of unusual birds.
Great place to relax during difficult times.
Great cosy cottage. WHen we stayed we had really cold weather, a couple of snow showers but the cottage was lovely and warm.
My husband and son saw a woodpecker out of the lounge window and on a walk back from the pub one evening we saw a young deer in the woods.
The cottage is in a lovely area there are so many walks from your doorstop, and the walk up into the forest is delightful.
We went into Keswick on a couple of evenings and used a taxi which cost us £8.00 great value if there are 4 of you.
The nearest place to eat and drink is Brailthwaite which has 3 pubs. Our favourite is middle ruddings which has a great selection of beers and spirts, especially gin and the food is good. It's a five minute drive or about a 40min walk.
This cottage is great value for money in a great location.
lovely warm cottage at a great price. We saw 3 red squirrels from the cottage. Two out of the back window and one running near the car out of the front window.
A great base to explore the Lake District.
This cottage is in a wonderful location. It is so quiet but you have got the local village approx a mile away with some excellent pubs and Keswick which is around 4 miles away. We have stayed at this cottage lots of times as we use it as a base while we walk the wainwrights. We love it. My son and his girlfriend joined us and they caught the bus into Keswick on an evening so they could have a drink, this was easy and cheap. Keswick is becoming cosmopolitan with some cocktail bars as well as the tradition bars.
Fantastic location for visiting the northern lakes. The cottage is very small and whilst the décor & furnishings are a little dated, it's very clean and well kept. Given we spent most of our time out and about, it didn't really matter that the cottage was a little tight on space.
This cottage is:
Sights and attractions
Outside this cottage in Lakes, EnglandThis cottage is in the countryside and in a quiet area near the mountains. Car hire is recommended as the cottage is less than a 15 minute walk to at least a couple of shops, bars and restaurants; however parking is available if required.
Prices and availability
- Your booking
- Available start/end date
Select your travel dates on the calendar
Changeover days and minimum stays
- 17 March - 22 March 2022: the minimum stay is 4 nights.
- 23 March - 31 May 2022: the minimum stay is 3 nights.
- 1 June 2022: the minimum stay is 4 nights.
- 3 June - 28 June 2022: the minimum stay is 4 nights.
- 29 June - 26 July 2022: the minimum stay is 2 nights.
- 27 July - 30 August 2022: the minimum stay is 3 nights.
- 1 September - 30 November 2022: the minimum stay is 3 nights.
- 1 December - 20 December 2022: the minimum stay is 2 nights.
- 21 December 2022 - 2 January 2023: the minimum stay is 4 nights.
- 17 March - 22 March 2023: the minimum stay is 4 nights.
- 23 March - 31 May 2023: the minimum stay is 3 nights.
- 1 June 2023: the minimum stay is 4 nights.
- 3 June - 28 June 2023: the minimum stay is 4 nights.
- 29 June - 26 July 2023: the minimum stay is 2 nights.
- 27 July - 30 August 2023: the minimum stay is 3 nights.
- 1 September - 30 November 2023: the minimum stay is 3 nights.
- 1 December - 20 December 2023: the minimum stay is 2 nights.
- 21 December 2023 - 2 January 2024: the minimum stay is 4 nights.
- 17 March - 22 March 2024: the minimum stay is 4 nights.
- 23 March - 31 May 2024: the minimum stay is 3 nights.
- 3 June - 28 June 2024: the minimum stay is 4 nights.
- 29 June - 26 July 2024: the minimum stay is 2 nights.
- 27 July - 30 August 2024: the minimum stay is 3 nights.
- 1 September - 30 November 2024: the minimum stay is 3 nights.
- 1 December - 20 December 2024: the minimum stay is 2 nights.
Early booking discounts
- Receive 20% off if the booking is made 12 months before the arrival date.
Late booking discounts
- Receive 10% off if the booking is made within 40 days of the arrival date.
- Receive 5% off if the booking is made within 60 days of the arrival date.
- Receive 5% off if the booking is made within 30 days of the arrival date.
If more than one discount matches your arrival date, please be aware that only one discount of the highest amount will be applied to your booking.
£50.00 per booking if the booking is for less than 4 nights, paid with booking
Well behaved dogs are welcome, pets carry an extra £10.00 cleaning surcharge
£10.00 per booking, paid with booking
2 bedrooms, Sleeps 4:
- 1 double bed
- 2 single beds
There is also 1 cot
1 bathroom, 1 Separate WC
CD player, Radio, TV Languages in Local
Living area seats 4, Dining area seats 4, Central heating, Open fire, Hair dryer, Iron / board, Towels / linen, Washing machine, Car hire recommended
Cooker, Crockery, Cutlery, Fridge, Freezer, Glassware, Kettle, Microwave, Oven, Pots / pans, Toaster
There is only bed linen included, you need to bring your own towells. The heating is by electric storage heating there is also a real coal fire. There are gardens outside the cottage but they are owned by another cottage owner.
Private Owner From Heaton, United Kingdom Member since Dec 2003
Past bookings: 137 bookings
Response rate: 70%
Response time: within 16 hours
Last seen: 3 days ago
Number of properties: 2