Cottage with 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms in Gwernyfed, Wales
From £1,278 per week
Cottage to rent in Gwernyfed, Wales
Valley Cottage is a self catering cottage located in an incredibly secluded valley directly under the Black Mountains. It is near the famous town of Hay-on-Wye.
Share this holiday home
Cottage overview - owner's description
Valley Cottage is a self catering cottage located in an incredibly secluded valley directly under the Black Mountains. It is near the famous town of Hay-on-Wye. There is no noise or light pollution and it is almost completely void of any mobile network coverage. It is possible to use the wi-fi on some phones.
The cottage is detached from all other buildings and has no immediate neighbours. There is a small stream and a very beautiful waterfall directly beside the property. Two open fires, oil fired Aga, deep down-filled duvets, cast iron baths and a shower borrowed from the Savoy Hotel, London are all luxury features.
The approach is suitably exciting. A narrow track winds its way into the property from the mountain road. The cottage is situated just off the hill or common, and there is an enormous amount of walkable, explorable, just-sit-down-on-able hillside.
- Main Entrance: Large Hallways and staircase leading to the first floor
- Bedroom 1: Pale pink large bedroom with white wooden double bedframe and a single day bed.
- Family Bathroom with a pale pink freestanding bath, sink, WC and heated towel rack. The room also boasts a walk-in shower with an enormous shower head which was acquired at the Savoy Hotel, London
- Bedroom 2: Duck egg blue bedroom with a double bed with white wooden bedframe
Please note:Hallways is on a split level with a few steps between bedroom 2, the bathroom and bedroom 1
Kitchen: The large country style kitchen opens onto a small terrace with table and seating for 4. The kitchen itself offers an AGA plus 4 gas hob burners, larder, dishwasher, fridge/freezer, iPod docking station, microwave and washing machine.
Dining: There is a large wooden table with seating for 6. Original wooden beams divide the room from a small adjoining Drawing Room with sofa, arm chair and fireplace.
Living Room: With 2 comfortable sofas, coffee table, armchairs, wooden and original fireplace, large flat screen TV, large pink pool table and exposed wooden beams on the ceiling.
A small winding stone staircase connects the first and second floor
Bedroom 3: The third attic bedroom is filled with exposed beams which divide up part of the room. The room has a double bed and a single bed.
Bathroom: Cooper freestanding bath, WC, sink and heated towel rack. The room has wooden floors and a skylight.
The cottage is nestled at the base of a picturesque Welsh Valley. A gentle stream runs along the perimeter of the cottage. It is surrounded by green rolling hills covered with wild flower and the occasional lamb during the spring months!
The split level terrace connected to the cottage is accessible via the living room or garden. The bottom terrace level has a large area ideal for soaking up the sun. Whilst the top level offers a luxurious woodfired hot tub.
Please note there is a steep drop off the off the terrace.
There are a host of activities in the local area. The Brecon Beacons National Park and the Wye and Usk Valleys mean that most rural activities are available. These include: hunting, shooting, river and lake fishing (ghillie available), horse riding, paragliding, regular gliding, rock climbing and abseiling, gorge walking & adventure days, rafting, kayaking, Canadian canoeing, archery, caving and potholing, golfing, mountain biking, mountain boarding, off-road driving, orienteering, paint-balling, quad biking, raft building, rally carting, target shooting, mountain walking and mountain skills, clay pigeon shooting, motoring along the wonderful mountain roads or simply sitting on Llandefalle Common under the red kites and buzzards watching the welsh mountain ponies in their natural habitat.
It is recommended that the latter activity be experienced with the following essential equipment: 1 large piece of Welsh cheese, a loaf of the local malted granary bread and at least one fine bottle of red wine.
Best restaurants within 15 minutes' drive
- The Felin Fach Griffin: The Felin Fach Griffin is an award winning, dining pub with delicious food and local ales.
- The River Cafe: For lunch or supper overlooking the Wye
- Richard Booth's Bookshop Cafe: For breakfast or lunch in Hay-on-wye surrounded by books.
- Melin Talgarth Mill Bakery: For an excellent sandwich or homemade cake and a tour of a working watermill
- Gliffaes Hotel: For tea overlooking the river Usk.
Great restaurants more than 15 minutes away
- The Raglan Arms, Monmouthshire
- The Bell at Skenfrith, Monmouthshire
- The Hardwick, Monmouthshire- The Angel Hotel, Abergavenny
Breconshire is also famed for its thriving farming community. During your stay there are numberous excellent local supplier which come highly recommeded
Some of our favourite local producers
Seasonal vegetables, fruits and salad:
- Primrose organic Farm, Felindre
- Small Farms, Hay-on-Wye
- Gibbons, Hay-on-Wye
- Paddy Sweeney, Brecon
- Hay Wholefoods & Delicatessen, Hay-on-Wye
- Melin Talgarth Mill Bakery, Talgarth
Smoked Fish & Meat:
- Black Mountain Smokery, Crickhowell
- Trealy Farm Charcuterie, Monmouth
Local Ice Cream
- Sheperds, Hay-on-Wye
- Llanfaes Dairy, Brecon
This cottage does not have any reviews but the agent has 9 reviews for their other properties.
This cottage is:
Prices and availability
Updated 11 December 2018
- Your booking
- Available start/end date
Select your travel dates on the calendar
Changeover days and minimum stays
- 12 December - 20 December 2018: changeover days are Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday and the minimum stay is 3 nights.
- 21 December 2018 - 7 January 2019: changeover day is Friday and the minimum stay is 7 nights.
- 8 January - 14 February 2019: changeover days are Friday and Sunday and the minimum stay is 3 nights.
- 15 February - 28 March 2019: changeover days are Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday and the minimum stay is 3 nights.
- 29 March - 25 April 2019: changeover day is Friday and the minimum stay is 7 nights.
- 26 April - 23 May 2019: changeover days are Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday and the minimum stay is 3 nights.
- 24 May - 2 June 2019: changeover day is Friday and the minimum stay is 7 nights.
- 3 June - 18 July 2019: changeover days are Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday and the minimum stay is 3 nights.
- 19 July - 29 August 2019: changeover day is Friday and the minimum stay is 7 nights.
- 30 August - 17 October 2019: changeover days are Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday and the minimum stay is 3 nights.
- 18 October - 29 October 2019: changeover day is Friday and the minimum stay is 7 nights.
- 30 October - 19 December 2019: changeover days are Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday and the minimum stay is 3 nights.
- 20 December 2019 - 11 December 2021: changeover day is Friday and the minimum stay is 7 nights.
Refundable Breakage Deposit
£1,000.00 per booking, paid locally
3 bedrooms, Sleeps 8
DVD/Blu-ray player, Internet / WiFi, TV, Satellite / cable
Central heating, Open fire
Hen or stag groups, Pets