Cottage with 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms in Devon, England
Booking cost: £0.00
Pay onlybooking deposit
From £1,805 per week
Cottage to rent in Devon, England
Cottage overview - owner's description
Brooks Cottage sits in the grounds of one of our more famous properties - Great Fulford, the setting for reality TV show 'Life is Toff' starring the estate's owner, larger-than-life character.
Brooks Cottage sits in the grounds of one of our more famous properties - Great Fulford, the setting for reality TV show 'Life is Toff' starring the estate's owner, larger-than-life character, Francis Fulford. While you can rent out the grand main house, this beautiful cottage is a fantastic place to stay with a real feeling of country charm!
‘Interiors' magazine described Lower Brook in 1990 as being ‘a cottage that grows out of field in Devon. Meadow grass and wild flowers creep up to the cobbled front step, hills bristling with oak thickets rise up on two sides of the house, and brooks border the others. There is no sign of any other human habitation, not even a tarmac road.'
The same holds true today, some twenty-four years later!
Brooks Cottage dates back to the 1500's, and truly appears built into the landscape, tucked into the steep slope that flanks the cottage. The house is wonderfully preserved due to being tucked awayt from the elements, and boasts an astonishing array of original features.
- Stepping through the front door you find a large sitting room to the left with grand open fire, and plenty of cosy seating.
- To the right of the entrance is the fully equipped kitchen, complete with an Aga, a Magimix and basic cooking bits like olive oil, salt, and eggs from the estate. There's also an open fire in the kitchen with logs ready to be lit.
- The entire first floor boasts atmospheric high ceilings that add a subtle atomsphere of grandure to this quaint cottage.
- Two bedrooms on the first floor, one to the left and one to the right of the stairs.
- One bedroom is en-suite and the other bathroom is on the landing.
- Really comfortable (and very large beds) with luxurious linen
- Some good books and a backgammon board
- Basic Sky television, Wi-Fi and an iPod dock
- There's a rear garden with small pond.
- There is a tennis court roughly 10 minutes walk away
- If it is hot, there is a lake to swim in - only a 20 minutes walk away
The grade-I listed manor house is situated a short drive from Exeter, and while the present mansion house is Tudor (16th century) with refurbishing from the late 17th century and further re-modelling from about 1800, the site itself dates back to medieval times, with the Fulford family living on the estate for some 800 years, at least since the reign of King Richard I ).
The drive from Exeter through the quintessential high hedgerows and rolling fields of Devon, past farms and barns leads you to the sprawling and magical Fulford Estate. This idyllic cottage sits in a corner of the countryside tucked within steep corn fields meaning you really do feel transported to another world. The perfect escapism, and yet just 20 minutes from Exeter!
- The cottage is not suitable for children under 12
This cottage does not have any reviews but the agent has 1 review for their other properties.
This cottage is:
Prices and availability
Updated 20 August 2017
Select your travel dates on the calendar
Changeover days and minimum stays
- 7 January 2017 - 5 January 2018: the minimum stay is 5 nights.
Refundable Breakage Deposit
£1,000.00 per booking, paid locally
2 bedrooms, Sleeps 4
2 bathrooms including 2 en suites
Internet / WiFi
Central heating, Open fire, Car hire optional