Cottage with 4 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms in Blockley, England
Booking cost: £0.00
Pay onlybooking deposit
From £811 per week
Cottage to rent in Blockley, England
Cottage overview - owner's description
Ropewalk is a traditional cottage built from Cotswold stone and found at the heart of the charming and historic village of Blockley.
Ropewalk is a traditional cottage built from Cotswold stone and found at the heart of the charming and historic village of Blockley. A stay here means you'll be enjoying areas of outstanding natural beauty that are perfect for hikers, foodies and those just looking to get away from it all! It's the ideal base from which to explore and enjoy the tranquility, stunning scenery and market towns of the Cotswolds with fantastic walks that start right at the cottage's front door.
Ropewalk Cottage itself dates back to the 1880s, when it was occupied by silk mill workers during the heyday of Blockley's textile industry. Recently renovated, this idyllic rural retreat comes complete with a wood-burning stove for whiling away your evenings in front of the fire with glass of wine in hand. The cottage sleeps up to 8 guests (with a maximum of 6 adults and 2 young children) in two doubles, one twin and a kid's bedroom. The cottage also recently received an Oliver's Travels recommendation award!
The Horse and Groom, The Good Pub Guide's pub of the year for 2016 is just 2 miles from the cottage.
- Living/dining room: A three-seater leather sofa, a two-seater sofa and two accent chairs surround the wood burning stove that makes Winter evenings a thing to be cherished! A log delivery service is available to ensure you never run out of fuel, and the house also benefits from full central heating. For entertainment you'll find a wall-mounted, 32-inch flatscreen TV with Freeview and DVD player, as well as a selection of books, DVDs and games. The dining area comes with an extendable table that seats a maximum of eight guests.There are four chairs and a bench that could seat up to three if two are children. The cottage also offers a high speed wifi internet connection throughout the house.
- Kitchen: The fully-equipped modern kitchen comes complete with Nespresso coffee machine (capsules can be ordered or bought in M&S) and bread maker. For babies and toddlers, two high chairs and plastic crockery are provided. We also have the usual fridge-freezer, washer/dryer, dishwasher, oven, hob and microwave.
- Front bedroom: Double bed with double wardrobe, chest of drawers and travel cot with mattress available. The room offers fantastic views over the fields opposite with barely a building in sight.
- Rear bedroom: Twin beds with chest of drawers and hat rack with hanging space. Out of the window, you'll find wonderful panoramic views of the Cotswold countryside.
- Family bathroom: Bath with overhead shower, basin, loo and heated towel rail.
- Front bedroom: Double bed with double wardrobe, dressing table and TV with Freeview. You can enjoy the same unbroken views over the fields as the room below, only with slightly better vantage point (so you may have to draw straws to see who gets which one!)
- Rear bedroom: Single bed with pull out bed underneath and a travel cot. Easily offers the best views in the house!
- Family shower room: Large shower with basin, loo and heated towel rail.
All bedrooms come complete with Egyptian cotton sheets and towels.
Outside you'll find a garden with a small lawn area and a patio at the bottom for a table, chairs and a BBQ. You can set out on fantastic locals walks that start straight from the moment you leave the front door!
The village of Blockley, found in the hills of the North Cotswolds between Chipping Campden and Moreton-in-Marsh, is a true gem of an English village. It's been designated as both an area of outstanding natural beauty and a conservation area, so you'll be surrounded by idyllic countryside no matter the time of year. You'll be invited to enjoy some warm and generous local hospitality thanks to the village's thriving and friendly community, and Blockley's picturesque village green provides a peaceful rest stop and entertainment thanks to the bowling green and well-kept children's area.
A brief history of Blockley
Blockley is locally renowned for its contributions to the textile industry, at one point boasting an impressive 12 water mills along its two brooks. In the 18th and 19th centuries, these historic buildings were repurposed from silk production to a broad range of rural uses including flour milling, flax weaving, woodcutting, threshing and (to provide refreshment at the end of a long day!) cider pressing.
The village church of St Peter and St Paul has a venerable past too, dating back to 1180AD. Leaping forward to the 20th Century, Paxton House (which stands near the old Post Office) acted as the Headquarters of the American Super Six division in 1942, and military history buffs will be delighted and fascinated by the fact that General George S Patton and Eisenhower met here to organize the Normandy landings!
Blockley's village shop sells a range of handy groceries, newspapers, locally produced meat, fruit and vegetables, bread, pastries as well hot food, drinks and snacks thanks to the attached cafe. The shop also offers a Post Office service on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, including a Bureau du Change.
There's a great selection of places to eat and drink in the village - The Great Western Arms, The 18th century Crown Hotel and the Lower Brook Guest House all come highly recommended by visitors and locals alike.
Twice a year (usually in Spring and at the start of June) a number of gardens in the village are opened up to the public, an event well worth exploring if you're lucky enough to be in the village at the time. The gardens at Mill Dene are open from April to October and offer high tea in the afternoons.
Ropewalk Cottage is only 3 miles away from Moreton-in-Marsh, which can be reached from London Paddington by train in roughly 90 minutes. Also nearby are the towns of Stow-on-the-Wold, Chipping Campden, the spa town Cheltenham (well known for its links to horse racing) Shakespeare's birthplace Stratford-on-Avon, Oxford and an enchanting selection of National Trust properties including Hidcote Manor, Snowshill Manor and Chastleton House.
Longborough Opera is popular in the Summer and makes for a local cultural highlight, and there's plenty of lovely Cotswold villages nearby to explore, with Bourton-on-the-Water, Broadway and The Slaughters offering great shops, traditional pubs and fine restaurants. Also within easy reach of the cottage you'll find Sudeley Castle, Blenheim Palace, Batsford Arboretum, Sezincote House, Warwick Castle and much, much more.
Pubs & Restaurants
Blockley benefits from having a great range of places to eat and drink, offering great craft beers and traditional meals created using the finest locally-sourced ingredients.
The Great Western Arms in Blockley, which has a welcoming and friendly atmosphere and serves typical pub food. On the High Street, The Crown in Blockley is the place to go if you feel like sitting back and just watching the world go by, while Lower Brook House offers restaurant-style food if you feel like a special night out. It's highly recommended you book first though!
If you enjoy long country walks, turn right out of the cottage and take the trip to Broad Campden where you'll find the The Bakers Arms, good traditional pub serving a fine range of food and beers. Roughly two miles in the other direction is Bourton-on-the-Hill, where The Horse and Groom is regularly recommended by guests to the cottage thanks to its wonderful garden that's perfect for sunny lunches.
Other good pubs in the area include The Ebrington Arms in Ebrington and The Red Lion and The King's Arms, which can both be found in Chipping Campden. Slightly further afield in Stow-on-the-Wold, The Queen's Head is a traditional pub with excellent Donnington beer and is well worth a visit. Here you'll also find The Eagle and Child, which is part of The Royalist Hotel and is one of England's oldest pubs – and it's not surprising it's lasted so long considering the quality of the food on offer there!
There's a huge selection of walking and rambling trails in and around Blockley. Whatever your fitness level and however far you fancy going, there's bound to be a route to suit! To get you started, we've highlighted three of our favourites below.
- The route through Blockley, Batsford and the Arboretum: Experience first-hand the exotic legacy of a 19th-century diplomat! You'll find woodland, hills with good views and charming villages adorning this beautiful stretch of the Cotswold escarpment.
Distance: 4.5 miles
Difficulty: Easy, lanes, tracks and fields, 8 stiles
- The route to Chipping Campden: This great walk comes in two flavours – an easy route if you're just out for a stroll or a longer version for those who feel like stretching their legs a little more. Whichever you choose, you'll be led through the idyllic English market town of Chipping Campden, around shaded woodlands and past breathtaking views. This walk really is a wonderful introduction to the Cotswolds!
Distance: 4½ miles (Short cut: 3 miles)
Duration: 2½ -3½ hrs (Short cut: 1½-2½ hrs)
Difficulty: Moderate, some steep sections (Short cut: Easy, avoids climbs)
- To Broadway and the Tower: This enchanting and picturesque walk will lead you to Broadway, allowing you to explore historic tracks and the intriguing Broadway Tower (which offers spectacular views across the Severn Vale into Wales) along the way. It's the perfect way to experience a little more of the variety offered by this stunning part of England.
Distance: 4 miles
Duration: 2½ -3 hrs
Difficulty: Moderate, some steep sections and stiles
This cottage does not have any reviews but the agent has 2 reviews for their other properties.
This cottage is:
Prices and availability
Updated 21 February 2018
- Your booking
- Available start/end date
Select your travel dates on the calendar
Changeover days and minimum stays
- 21 February 2018 - 3 January 2019: the minimum stay is 2 nights.
- 5 January 2019 - 3 January 2020: the minimum stay is 2 nights.
Refundable Breakage Deposit
£1,000.00 per booking, paid locally
4 bedrooms, Sleeps 6
DVD/Blu-ray player, Internet / WiFi, TV, Satellite / cable
Central heating, Open fire, Car hire optional