Bajo La Maroma
Villa with 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms and private pool in Canillas de Aceituno, Spain
From £303 per week
Villa to rent in Canillas de Aceituno, Spain
Amazing mountain views: private, traditional villa set within the hills of Andalucia, for a simple, peaceful holiday. Ref: VTAR/MA/10400
Share this holiday home
Villa overview - owner's description
FABULOUS VIEWS: PRIVATE ANDALUCIAN VILLA WITH OWN POOL AND LARGE GROUNDS, IN TRANQUIL SETTING - SLEEPS 6
• 2 kilometres from the beautiful white hillside village of Canillas de Aceituno
• 20 mins from the lovely typically Spanish town of Velez Malaga
• 25 minutes from the coast
• 60 minutes from Malaga airport
‘Bajo La Maroma' (beneath Maroma) is so called because it looks up to the highest mountain in this part of Southern Spain, La Maroma.
With open-plan living, sitting and kitchen areas, high vaulted ceilings, pine doors and window shutters this villa has a fabulous spacious feel and wonderfully combines the modern with the traditional.
Sitting and dining areas:
• sitting area with log fire, seating for 6, coffee and side tables, bookcase with books, information files, CDs games, TV for watching DVDs, HiFi with connections for mp3, DVDs, wifi connection etc
• dining area with a large dining table and seating for 6
• newly fitted with modern units, double Belfast sink, ceramic hob, combination microwave/grill/convection oven, fridge-freezer, electric kettle, slow cooker, food processor and toaster
• very well equipped with cooking utensils, tableware and even a selection of herbs and spices
• 3 spacious double bedrooms, 1 with king bed and the others, each with 2 single beds
• large built-in pine wardrobes
• fans, hair-dryer, chests of drawers, side tables, chairs and also some toys and items left for your considerate use
• bathroom 1: newly fitted in modern, rustic style with bath, shower, WC, wash-basin and fitted wooden shelving
• bathroom 2: en suite to main bedroom – newly fitted with WC, basin unit and shower; tiles chosen to mimic the red glow of evening sunlight on the mountain which is viewed from the window
gas heaters are available, but please note that these should never be used in a closed room.
(for 6), Moorish style 'sun-downer' bench and 6 sun-loungers.
• extensive garden and grounds
• rear terrace
• Moorish outdoor shaded ‘chill-out' area with built in tiled seating for 6 and Moorish tiled table with chairs
Things to do
This villa is suitable for families, friends and couples who will appreciate the tranquility and wonderful views of the surrounding countryside but there is also a wide range of activities nearby for all of the family, including all the opportunities offered at the coast.
Within 30 minutes:
• lots of local walks including to: the village, with ancient Moorish buildings and water cisterns dating from 15th century; the bat cave and water spring; the surrounding hills and vineyards
• the lovely historical town of Velez Malaga and outside it, El Ingenio modern shopping mall with hypermarket, department store, various shops, bars and restaurants, cinema and fitness centre
• the beach and coastal resort of Torre del Mar with a 4Km expanse of beach having walking/jogging route and exercise stations for all ages, along the way
• Lake Vinuela, water-park, go-karting, golf, tennis
Under an hour:
• huge, amazing caves at Nerja with prehistoric remains
• beaches galore – from Malaga to the Costa Tropical which is characterised by cliff-backed beaches and offers scuba diving, wind-surfing, kite surfing, para-gliding, jet-ski, fishing, nudism etc
• hot springs just outside the historical town of Alhama de Granada, set in rolling hills between Caniilas de Aceituno and Granada. The town has an old Moorish quarter and within the area are lakes and a large reservoir at Bermejeles (where we have a Cortijo - please ask if you are interested in seeing this) In this area you can arrange accompanied mountain and gorge walking, mountain biking, and a variety of adventurous activities.
• Malaga with its old city centre, Picasso Museum, castle and many other sights
• Swimming at Lake Bermejeles 15mins from Alhama de Granada (see above)
• Granada with its famous Alhambra Palace, Cathedral and gypsy flamenco district
• the ancient town of Ronda with beautiful buildings, famous bullring and a spectacular gorge
• flamingos at Fuente de las Piedras
• Gibraltar, Seville, and Cordoba
There are many festivals throughout the year in Andalucia, including, in the village: Dia del Morcilla (free sausage and beer), San Isidro (where the ladies wear beautiful flamenco dresses and there is free paella and beer) and the 3 day August Fiesta; at Easter, impressive processions in Velez Malaga and the re-enactment of the Passion in Rio Gordo; in July, the International Jazz Festival at Almunecar to name but a few.
Of course you can always go nowhere…in spring listen to hoopoe, frogs and nightingales, find wild orchids and irises, smell the orange blossom on the terraces beneath the villa or gaze out on to the mountain-sides, covered with grape, almond, citrus and avocados. In summer, you may prefer just to swim in the pool, sunbathe, or sit in the shade of the carob tree, hear the goats and sheep, with their bells, as they meander across the hillsides and watch shooting stars by night.
If you enjoy nature, bird watching, photography, painting or writing, then the world is your oyster.
All in all, if you want peace and tranquility, with things to do close at hand, this is the place for you!
Please note that the villa is accessed via a municipal country road after leaving the main Velez to Canillas road. The last section however is private. The final 200m is unsurfaced and may deteriorate after heavy rains. Only once in 20 years has it been necessary for guests to park above the villa, but be aware.
Rental licence or registration number: VTAR/MA/01400
This villa has 22 verified reviews.
22 out of 22 people recommend staying here
What a fantastic 9 days we recently spent at Bajo La Maroma, spacious and clean set in an amazing location with mountains as its backdrop. The pictures do not do it justice. The pool was very welcoming when you needed to have a cool down, we also made use of the barbeque which I have to say cooks very fast. The villa has ideal seating positions in the porch to sit in the shade when needed , and was a great area when eating your evening meals outside or having an early morning coffee.
This area of Spain is always a pleasure to visit, Sheila's villa has been our best stay to date. Heather (neighbour) was very helpful, be prepared to say hello to her dogs who she walks everyday and can't resist saying hi . We had an extremely relaxing holiday, all our box's were ticked! :)
We had 10 days here in April 16, weather was lovely. The villa has a super location with panoramic views. Quiet location, nearest village was a good 30mins walk up a steep hill but again the views made it worth it. Canillas de Aceituno is a small but fully equipped village with little stores selling all you would need and the numerous bars making sure your never in need of a beer!
We've just arrived back after a perfect week at this villa, beautiful setting, peaceful and private. Very well equipped and spacious, everything our party needed (5 guest from age 6 to 82!) A car a must to make the most of the surroundings, friendly restaurant as you enter Canillas de Aceituno approx 5 minutes by car, beach at Torre de mar half an hour away, Alhambra palace Granada 1hr 40 ( not to be missed ) And Ronda 2 hrs ( again not to be missed!) We had the greatest time, Heather and Mike were really helpful, the kids loved Toby the dog and the chameleons in the carob tree. A perfect Holiday. Thank you.
We had a lovely holiday in this villa which is set in a beautifull area with stunning mountain views. The small village is lovely with a couple of restaurants and a nice cheap bar in the center, and a small shop which has most things you need. Vllez malaga is a short drive
The villa is well equipped with everything you need for a holiday both inside and outside. We enjoyed the tranquillity of the mountain location. The villa was light, airy and roomy inside and the decor and facilities were clean and modern.
We particularly liked the insect screens on the windows so you could let the air in without worrying about the bugs. We made good use of the CDs and books – particularly the Spanish/English dictionary which was very useful.
The direction instructions were very good and we found the villa with ease, even though it was in a remote location.
Heather was helpful and welcoming.
This villa is:
Sights and attractions
Outside this villa in Canillas de Aceituno, SpainThis villa is in the countryside and in a quiet area near the mountains. It has a pool, a balcony, a barbecue, outside lighting and a garden. Car hire is necessary as the renter will need a car to get about for shopping, eating out and the beach; however parking is available if required.
Prices and availability
Updated 7 May 2019
- Your booking
- Available start/end date
Select your travel dates on the calendar
Changeover days and minimum stays
- 16 June 2019 - 25 October 2021: the minimum stay is 7 nights.
- 1 March - 29 May 2022: the minimum stay is 7 nights.
3 bedrooms, Sleeps 6:
- 1 king size bed and en suite
- 2 single beds
- 2 single beds
There is also 1 cot
2 bathrooms including 1 en suite, 2 Separate WC's
Private pool, Size 8m x 5m, Depth 1.4m to 1.6m
CD player, DVD/Blu-ray player, Internet, Radio
Living area seats 6, Dining area seats 6, Open fire, Hair dryer, Iron / board, Towels / linen, Car hire essential
Cooker, Crockery, Cutlery, Fridge, Freezer, Glassware, Kettle, Microwave, Oven, Pots / pans, Toaster
Balcony or terrace, Barbecue, Outside lighting, Parking, Private garden
Children, Infants, Single gender groups, Restricted mobility , Pets
There is 2000 sq m of garden, terraces and land including flowers, nuts and fruit and natural land.
Private Owner From Dorchester-on-thames, Wallingford, United Kingdom Member since Oct 2003
Past bookings: 70 bookings
Response rate: 100%
Response time: within 3 hours
Last seen: a month ago
Number of properties: 2