T1 apartment with living, twin bedroom, kitchenet, and bathroom, integrated in a beautiful green enviroment. During the Moorish domination there was built (or enlarged) the Moorish Castle (Castelo dos Mouros), perched on the crest of the Serra (alt. 450 m), and also, in the area called "Chão de Oliva", now Vila Velha (Old Town), the residence of the Moorish princes that was the origin of the Paço Real (Royal Palace). After the Christian Reconquest - Sintra surrendered to the army of Dom Afonso Henriques in 1147, a few days after Lisbon had been taken - the Portuguese king granted a franchise to the thirty inhabitants of the oppidum of the Castle (1154).
In the reign of Dom Dinis (1279-1325) the town was donated to the Sainted Queen Isabel. Great works took the palace in enlarging the Royal Palace and the life of Sintra was given new impulse. After the crisis of 1383-1385, the town was granted new statutes giving it autonomy and then began its golden age. At the start of the 16th Century, King Manuel ordered further amplification and decoration;this being accompanied by the literary and cultural burgeoning that was increasingly inspired by the Renaissance. According to a tradition, of which there is no proof, Luís de Camões even read the original of his epic poem The Lusiads in a wing of the Royal Palace, to King Sebastião on the eve of his ill-fated Moroccan expedition. The 16th Century was in fact, for Sintra, a flourishing period and a centre of decision -taking.
But it was above all in the 19th Century, with Romanticism, that the region was rediscovered and recovered in international terms. Romantic artists such as William Beckford (1787) and Lord Byron (1811) sang its unsurpassable beauty, engravers such as William Burnett (1830-1837) immortalised the most significant parts of the countryside, men of sensitivity like King Fernando II lent impulse to planned afforestation of the Serra de Sintra and helped the construction of sumptuous revivalist buildings such as the Palácio da Pena. Located in the Old Quarter of Sintra and classified as World Heritage by UNESCO, the Quinta da Regaleira is one of these special places. Built at the turn of the 20th century in the romantic ideal, this fascinating ensemble of constructions which have been built in the middle of the dense forest is the result of the achieving of the mythical magical dreams of its owner, Antonio Augusto Carvalho Monteiro (1848-1920) in conjunction with the talent of the scenographer-architect Luigi Manini (1848-1936).
The imagination of these two figures succeeded in achieving the revivalist sum of the most varied artistic trends - with particular reference to the Gothic, Manueline and Renaissance and the glorification of all things held sacred by humankind and particularly reflecting on Portuguese mythological and esoteric traditions.
The Quinta da Regaleira is a place to be felt. It is not sufficient to tell its story, of its countryside setting, its mysteries.
Situated in Sintra only at 27 Km from Lisbon with an admirable panoramic sight
Discounts and extras
This property does not have any discounts or extras set
This is the general location (within 1km of the property)
- Nearest beach:
- Nearest restaurant:
- Nearest supermarket: