Following many years of neglect, this property has been bought back to its former glory, offering a luxury holiday on this beautiful estate.
Elegant living is provided in this property with its newly renovated interiors in this beautiful old building.
The high ceilings give you the feeling of freedom in the space, whilst the traditional furniture and bathrooms give you the feeling of being in an old Country Home.
The three floors are home to 13 elegant apartments, each providing their own self-contained accommodation.
A large banquet hall and communal salons fill the ground floor, whilst the sunlight can be enjoyed on the outdoor terrace at the front of the property.
There is so much to do in the formal gardens, with a large swimming pool and petanque court, or simply sit and enjoy a good book.
A further explore into the grounds will take you to the forest or allow you to explore the caves in the moat.
This fabulous chateau is located in the heart of the Loire Valley, just 19km from Saumur.
Summer/Autumn 2018: 39 guests/18 bedrooms/18 bathrooms
Winter 2018 and 2019: 43 guests/20 bedrooms/20 bathrooms
- 4 x studios
- 4 x 1-bedroom
- 4 x 2-bedroom
- 1 x 2-bedroom suite (available in winter 2018)
- 1 x clock tower apt, 2-bedroom + mezzanine with 3 x single beds (children)
- Grand staircase and entrance
- 2 Salons with a central fireplace, library and computer
- Grand Banquet Hall with 150 seats (ideal for dinners, meetings, private functions and conferences)*
- Chateau Dining Room with 20 seats
- Chateau Kitchen
- Crypt (for wine-tasting)
- Chateau Office
- Cloak room
- Front terrace with patio
- Raiponce Suite with disability access (West Wing) - 45m2
- Bibliotheque 2 bedroom suite with disability access (West Wing) - 98m2
- Ackerman 2 bedroom suite (access through West Wing staircase) - 96m2
- Marquis de Breze 2 bedroom suite (access through West Wing staircase) - 112m2
- Prince de Conde studio (access through West Wing staircase) - 55m2
- Marie suite (access through Grand staircase and lift) - interconnecting door to Suite Blandin - 61m2
- Mme Blandin suite (access through Grand staircase and lift) - interconnecting door to Suite Marie - 42m2
- Infant of Spain 1 bedroom suite (access through Grand staircase and lift) - disability access - 61m2
- Vue Foret 1 bedroom suite (access through Grand staircase and lift) - 45m2
- Bonnes Soeurs 2 bedroom suite (access through Grand staircase and lift) - 98m2
- Maillé de la Tour Landry 1 bedroom suite (access through lift) - 48m2
- Louis Gilbert 1 bedroom suite (access through West Wing staircase)
- 2 bedrooms suite (94m2) with two bathrooms (newly renovated, available from winter 2018)
*The Banquet Hall is not included in the rental prices. Supplements apply. Please enquire.
All suites are self-contained studio, one or two bedroom for self-catering. Temporary beds can be put in some Suites for extra bed space if requested, for an additional charge.
Studio Suites – all have a mini kitchenette, with a microwave/convection small oven, two induction hot plates, an extractor, a mini fridge, a small dishwasher, a single sink and washing machine/dryer (or shared) integrated into the kitchen cupboards. The king bed can be split into two single beds as standard, and the living space has seating and dining for four people. Every bathroom has a bath, shower, toilet and hand basin. Utensils provided for catering up to four people.
One Bedroom Suites – have a slightly larger kitchen than that of the studio suites, with a larger fridge. All other items are as above. One suite is much larger, so has a full kitchen.
Two Bedroom Suites – have full kitchens with a large fridge and all larger electrical fittings and double sinks. Utensils provided for catering up to six people. Most bathrooms have a bath, although some only have a shower in the second bedroom.
Maison de Fretigny (Clock Tower) - 136m2
Independent 3-storey stand-alone suite located in the front lawns of the chateau.
- Master bedroom with en-suite bath
- 1 double bedroom with en-suite shower
- Mezzanine area with 3 single beds
- Fully equipped kitchenette
- Entertainment area
- Semi-heated swimming pool (size: 20x8 m / depth: 1.1-1.7 m) with child-safe fence (open from May to October from 9 am to 7 pm)
- French Gardens: the front lawn offers an area in which to view the moat and the front of the chateau.The main gardens are found through the main building to the back, where the area is divided into four sections – the topiary walk, the swimming pool, the orchard, and the garden walk.
- Forest: 22 acres of forest, in which our guests can take walks along the pathways and accesses that are within our guided map. Low hanging branches and fallen trees make it a ‘nature walk’, so care needs to be taken – do so at your own risk. Wild flowers and chestnuts can be found on the ground. A Pilgrimage Grotto is also in the forest, to view and read about.
- Change room, sunbeds and parasols
- Picnic area with 2 gas-lit BBQs
- Petanque court
- Caves: exploring the caves is a fun past time, but you will need the Caves Map to find your way around, and you need to let one of our team members know you are going down to the moat to explore. You will need to be guided in the right direction, particularly on your first visit.
- Cycling: the chateau bikes can be used on a first come, first served basis. Cycling down to the village to collect your morning croissants or baguette for lunch is a popular thing to do. Having a coffee enroute is a very French thing to enjoy.
- The Plants: a herb garden is near the foot bridge across from the back of the chateau and guests can help themselves to what is in season, for their personal cooking pleasure. The orchard is to the back of the formal gardens, and when in season, pickings can be made by our guests of the fruit on the trees, or some of the vegetables in the veggie patch.
- Off road parking space
- The Neighbour’s pets: our neighbours have a deer and peacocks in their enclosure. They also have a donkey and a horse… Sometimes our staff will be happy to walk with you to meet the animals, but as it is private property, this is restricted to us being available to take you over to meet them.
- LCD Flat Screen Satellite TV
- DVD player
- CD player
- I-pod docking station
- PC with internet access
- Burglar alarm
Château des Marquis is just outside a pretty village with three bars, restaurant, hairdressers and pharmacy. The nearest town is lovely Saumur, which is only 19km away.Less than an hour away you can visit the cities of Angers, Le Mans and Tours.
Centred on the mighty UNESCO World Heritage classified Loire river, guests can zig-zag through a veritable cornucopia of wonderful things to see and do from the thrill of the Le Mans racing circuit to the astonishing horsemanship of the Cadre Noire Riding School. For a family day out there is Joyful Valley Lake or the leap back in history at Saumur Castle.
The area is perfect for visiting the Loire Châteaux, for wine tasting (particularly sparkling wines) and for rambling and cycling in the National Park.