Chateau with 13 bedrooms, 13 bathrooms and private pool in Campiglia Marittima, Italy
Booking cost: £0.00
Pay onlybooking deposit
From £12,242 per week
Chateau to rent in Campiglia Marittima, Italy
Chateau overview - owner's description
Castle Mago is a wonderful 16th Century castle in a perfect position enjoying a lovely panorama over the countryside with views to the Elba Island and the sea beyond.
Castle Mago is a wonderful 16th Century castle in a perfect position enjoying a lovely panorama over the countryside with views to the Elba Island and the sea beyond. The villa has its own exclusive grounds complete with a rose garden and an entrance garden with private parking, outside living space for relaxing, dining al fresco and a private outside swimming pool 6m x 12m and a private outside Jacuzzi hot tub. This romantically beautiful historic residence retains all the original characteristics and period furnishings yet has all modern comforts and offers a wide range of facilities and services to enhance your stay.
This unique ancient castle, once the abode of Leopold II Grand Duke of Tuscany, is in a peaceful and private location in the countryside yet just 1 km from the nearest town Venturina Terme and only ten minutes driving to the lovely Tuscan coast and nearest sandy beaches. A private avenue of cypresses and pines leads to the private automatic gate of the castle through the grounds for the first glimpse of this imposing property that has a romantic facade of ivy.
The interior of the villa is just as amazing with characteristic high ceilings and furnished with antiques, oil paintings and family heirlooms. The ground level of the villa is composed of various lounge rooms with period furnishings in keeping with the style of the castle. There is a large entrance hall hung with ancient paintings and coats of arms, off which there are three lovely living rooms, two of these living rooms with fireplace and sofas, one of these with Sky television and DVD player and hi-fi music. The third one is a reading living room with a computer desk with antique wooden desk. On the same level there is a professional fully equipped kitchen and another small room next to the kitchen with a fridge and all the necessary staff for the meals service. There is a lovely dining room with fire place decorated with frescoes and majolica tiles with a big rectangular table for all the guests. From the main entrance hall staircases to the left and/or to the right lead to the middle and upper floors of the castle and the ten characteristic bedrooms with their ensuite bathrooms (4 double bedrooms, 5 suites, and the special Grand Duke Master suite) each individually decorated with different colour schemes, and many featuring hand painted ceilings, frescoes and numerous antique pieces. The bedrooms are equipped with the modern comforts such as air conditioning, digital tv and an illimited fast wifi connection 20 Mbps download and 6 Mbps upload. The Wi Fi internet connection cover also the whole inside villa, the rose garden and the pool area.
The mature grounds sweep all around the castle and the main entrance hall also opens out onto the lovely rear rose garden where there is a pretty al fresco dining area with a marble rectangular table for all the guets, as well as an outside living area with comfortable settees and umbrellas perfect for relaxing whilst enjoying the view towards the rose garden. Original stone steps lead down from the garden to the villa's private swimming pool (12m x 6m) situated in a secluded position below. The pool area , shaded by pines and overlooking the olive grove, has a Jacuzzi. The owners of Castle Mago are very hospitable and they and the villa staff take pride in the services they offer. A whole manner of arrangements can be made (on request payable locally) ranging from catering services including lunches and dinners, laundry, extra housekeeping and even day trips and excursions are options available. When you can tear yourself away, the beautiful coast of Tuscany with its lovely beaches is just minutes away, and there are many pretty towns to explore locally. The area is well known too for its wine production, thermal spas, nature reserves and lovely countryside. A little further afield are other famous Tuscan towns such as Florence, Siena and Pisa all well worth a visit. Even the island of Elba is accessible via nearby ferry connections or by private boat. Castle Mago really is a unique property in a great location for a truly unforgettable holiday.
Good news! This property is available as a Vill'otelYey! Wait… what is that?
It's the perfect combo of the privacy of your own personal villa, with all the luxury and convenience of a hotel.What's included?
Breakfast, cleaning, welcome drinks and hamper, plus more! Check the Extras tab for all the details.
The Castle is accessible by a lane, lined with cypress and pine trees, at the end of which the impressive gates open onto the front garden with private parking. Passing through the entrance hall, guests can step into the rose garden which is an ideal place for breakfast, lunch and dinner. At the end of the garden, separated by a smaller gate, is a swimming pool, open from mid-May to the end of September. Overlooking a terraced olive grove, the pool is shaded by ancient maritime pine trees.
The bedrooms, all with en-suite bathrooms, are arranged on different levels and are individually decorated. Each is provided with mini-bar, air conditioning, satellite TV, telephone, and safe. There are four double rooms, 5 suites and a superior suite, "Gran Duca" available. These beautiful bedrooms are furnished with antique furniture, hand decorated ceilings, frescoes and numerous precious objects.
On the ground floor there is a magnificent hall enriched with oil paintings and furnished with an important 18th century wooden table. There are also three sitting rooms accessible from the main entrance hall: a well-stocked reading room with an antique wooden desk; a bar room with fireplace; a TV room, richly furnished with an antique chest, two comfortable sofas upholstered with damask fabric, fireplace, satellite TV, and DVD player. Breakfast, lunch and dinner are served in the luminous dining room, decorated with frescoes and tiled with original ceramics. Internet Wi-Fi access can be found throughout the Castle. Outside guests can take full advantage of the grounds and private 5m x 11m swimming pool.
- Large entrance hall with antique table
- 3 Living rooms (2 with fireplace and 1 reading/computer room) with settees
- sky television and DVD player
- Washing/ironing room
- Service bathroom on the ground floor
- Dining room with fireplace, table and chairs
- Professional kitchen with cooker (5 gas rings and electric oven)
- 1 fridge/freezer, 1 fridge dishwasher, microwave, ice maker.
- Side room off the kitchen.
Middle Floor (left side)
- Double bedroom n.8 (can convert to twin on request) with ensuite bathroom with bathtub/shower
- Double bedroom n.9(can convert to twin on request) with ensuite bathroom with bathtub/shower
Upper Floor (left side)
- Suite n.7 (can convert to twin on request) with double bedroom with an ensuite bathroom with only shower, a separate living room and access to a large panoramic terrace with living space and an automatic red terrace curtain.
- Suite n.4 (can convert to twin on request) with double bedroom with an ensuite bathroom with bathtub/shower and a separate living room.
- Double bedroom n.5 (can convert to twin on request) with ensuite bathroom with bathtub/shower
- Double bedroom n.6 (can convert to twin on request) with ensuite bathroom with only shower
Upper Floor (right side)
- Master suite 3 (Grand Duke) with double bed with ensuite bathroom with bathtub/shower, living and access to a small balcony.
- Suite n.1 (can convert to twin on request) with double bedroom with an ensuite bathroom with bathtub/shower and a separate living room.
- Suite n.2 (can convert to twin on request) with double bedroom with an ensuite bathroom with bathtub/shower and a separate living room.
Top Mansard Floor
- Junior Suite n.10 with double bedroom, ensuite bathroom with bathtub/shower and living
All bedrooms are equipped with air conditioning, ensuite bathroom, digital TV, wifi connection and pool towels.
All ensuite bathrooms have bathtub/shower or only shower (as indicated above), basin, bidet, w.c. hairdryer, courtesy kit and bath towels
- Daily maid service
- Mid week full linen change
- Pool towels
- Air conditioning in all the bedrooms
- Central heating*
- digital television in the bedrooms
- sky television in the ground floor living
- DVD player
- 2 Large gardens and grounds
- Swimming pool
- Wi fi internet access
- Private Parking
- 1km from the town of Venturina
- 10 minutes drivind to Baratti beach
- Meals on request*
- Laundry/ironing service*
*Services payable locally
The use of 3 extra bedrooms with 2 bathrooms available and on request.
- Ice maker
- American coffee machine
- Living room with SKY satellite TV and DVD
- Computer room with unlimited WI-FI access in the whole Castle
- TV colour LCD
- Baby equipment is available on request
Castle Mago is the former residence of Leopold II, Grand Duke of Tuscany. It is situated between the renowned cities of Siena and Lucca, in a triangle of high quality wine production. Notable are Sassicaia and Ornellaia. Today this magnificent "Historical Residence", offers the chance to experience history with all the modern comforts of the 21st century. The castle is open during the summer months and is rented weekly as an exclusive, private villa.
As this is a land famous for the production of DOC and DOCG wines known all over the world, one of the recommended activities is a tour of local producers, such as Sassicaia and Ornellaia. Tours should be booked in advance directly from the castle. Visits can be personalized according to taste and expertise. Wine experts will guide and assist you throughout the itinerary.
Castle Mago is located on the Etruscan Coast in an area with many tourist attractions, including historical sights, art, culture and cuisine. With its splendid medieval towns and landscape, the Etruscan Riviera has many interesting things to discover.
Some places and events worth mentioning are:
- Campiglia Marittima with its festival "Apriti Borgo" (medieval festival, August).
- Suvereto with "Calici Sotto le Stelle" (wine festival, August).
- Bolgheri and its renowned wines, such as Sassicaia and Ornellaia.
- Populonia and Baratti's Etruscan tombs.
- The beautiful Elba Island.
- San Vincenzo and its "Palio della Costa Etrusca" (horse race on the beach, Easter Monday).
- Massa Marittima with "Balestro del Girifalco" (May & August).
A visit to the outstanding Castle Mago will make any holiday an unforgettable experience.
Castle Mago was built during the first decade of the 16th century and became the residence of Leopold II, Grand Duke of Tuscany, during the reclamation of the Maremma land.
Leopold II was born on 3 October, 1797 in Florence and died in Rome on 29 January, 1870. He was the last Grand Duke of Tuscany, reigning from 1824 and abdicating in 1859.
Castle Mago was been the residence of many Grand Dukes of Tuscany, but Leopold II lived there the longest. Documents dating back to 1529 demonstrate the existence of a former palace that was renovated to become the administrative headquarters of the Campiglia Marittima Railways.
In 1860, the Castle passed into the hands of the Merciai family, who transformed it into a "Historical House" open to all those who wished to enjoy an unforgettable holiday while discovering this beautiful land rich in history and art.
Subsequent works carried out since 1900 have been supervised by the Italian Institute of Fine Arts. Today, the castle represents one of the most important monuments of the Tuscan Maremma.
Distances from major touristic sights
- Castagneto Carducci – Bolgheri and its vineyards: 7 km
- Golf of Baratti: 10 km
- Populonia and the Etruscan Tombs: 10 km
- Pelagone Golf Club: 25 km
- Punta Ala: 20 km
- Massa Marittima – art and wine itineraries: 30 km
- Volterra – Alabaster, “Balze” and museums: 50 km
- San Gimignano and its towers: 75 km
- Siena – Piazza del Campo – Chianti: 95 km
- Lucca: 100 km
- Florence: 160 km
- Rome: 250 km
Distances from major International Airports
- Pisa: 80 km
- Florence: 160 km
- Rome: 220 km
- Grosseto (only for private flights): 60km
This chateau does not have any reviews but the agent has 2 reviews for their other properties.
This chateau is:
Outside this chateau in Campiglia Marittima, ItalyThis chateau has a pool.
Prices and availability
Updated 23 May 2018
- Your booking
- Available start/end date
Select your travel dates on the calendar
Changeover days and minimum stays
- 23 May 2018 - 31 May 2019: the minimum stay is 7 nights.
- 22 June - 30 August 2019: the minimum stay is 7 nights.
- 14 December 2019 - 14 December 2024: the minimum stay is 7 nights.
Refundable Breakage Deposit
£878.50 per booking, paid locally
13 bedrooms, Sleeps 26
DVD/Blu-ray player, Internet / WiFi, TV, Satellite / cable
Air conditioning, Central heating, Open fire
Hen or stag groups, Smoking, Pets