Castelwood - Monpazier/biron
Chalet with 2 bedrooms, 1 bathroom and shared pool in Biron, France
From £531 per week
Chalet to rent in Biron, France
15 chalets at the foot of Castle Biron, comfortably equipped, swimming pool, sleeps 1/6. Holidays to the rhythm of nature, peace and relaxation.
Share this holiday home
Chalet overview - owner's description
The chalets have been designed and constructed in the local Perigord style. They have been built with Douglas fir and Scotch pine.
The roofs are the same colour as the local slate tiles, blending well with environment. They also play shadow games with the leaves of the trees. The outside of the chalets are the colour of patinated wood, which corresponds also to the local style.
Each chalet is roomy with more than 50m² floor space, as well as a veranda of 15m². One of the chalets is built for physically disabled people and complies with national regulations.
The interior is in the Périgord style, with the roofbeams close together and with an elevated pitch to the roof. The latter allows for a bedroom for 2/4 people on the mezzanine floor.
Downstairs there is an open style kitchen, a living room with a comfortable seating arrangement, a separate toilet, a bathroom with shower and washbasin and another bedroom for 2 people. The veranda has a garden table and chairs, for your meals or drinks outside.
We can, if you wish, provide you with an « Arrival Kit », i.e. some basic foodstuffs to start off your holiday. After a long and tiring journey or a late arrival you may not feel up to a shopping trip straight away. This way our Arrival Kit can tie you over till the next day. Please contact us personally for this option.
It goes without saying that your chalet is thoroughly cleaned the day of your arrival. We will also make the beds and plug in the refrigerator..... all you have to do is to unpack and start enjoying your holiday !
WHAT TO SEE IN THE VICINITY ... AND JUST A BIT FURTHER :
The marvels of our region :
· The Dordogne and Vézère valleys, with their prehistoric sites : Les Eyzies, La Roque St Christophe...
· Limestone caverns, geological chasms with rock and crystal formations, prehistoric shelters with sculptures and rock drawings : Lascaux II, Gouffre de Padirac, Grottes de Cougnac...
· The fortified castles which are the historical witnesses of the disputes between France and England : the castles of Bonaguil, Beynac and Castelnaud. But there are also castles like « Les Milandes », once the home of Josephine Baker and her children.
· The medieval towns and the « bastides » : very old, fortified towns, built according to a standard layout. Sarlat, Monpazier, Monflanquin, Villeréal...
· The old country churches, often of Roman architecture, the cloisters and priories : some of them witnessed the passage of the Pilgrims ... the Abbey of Cadouin, Roc-Amadour.
· The vineyards of Bergerac, of Buzet, of Thézac and of Cahors.
· Gastronomy ; the abundance of « the good things in life » : foie gras, potted duck, wild mushrooms, local cheeses, fresh fruit and plenty of vegetables ... the gourmet will find her heaven on earth.
· The street markets with local farmers and their home grown products.
· The parks and gardens, but mostly landscapes worthy of a painters palet or the artistic eye of a photographer.
· Sport activities : golf, horseriding, walking, cycling, canoeing, swimming, rock climbing, cave explorations, etc. etc.
A LITTLE BIT OF HISTORY
The origins of the castle of Biron are unknown. Their masters appear in historical documents around the year 1000. The wooden buildings are replaced by thick stone walls around about the middle of the 12th Century.
During the Middle Ages, Biron straddled the border of two territories : one belonging to the « rois-ducs » (kings of England and dukes of the Aquitaine) ; the other belonging to the kings of France. The castle therefore suffered several occupations, especially during the Hundred Years War (1337-1453) in which France and England fought over ownership of the region.
The Gontaut Biron family is one of the oldest families of France. The brothers Pons (1460 -1524) and Armand (1462 -1531) repaired and restored most of the damage caused by the war, and improved the castle by adding new buildings. This was a long and exacting job. They were rewarded 1598 when the title of duke and peer was bestowed on Charles de Gontaut. However, it was said that Charles later plotted against his king, Henri IV, and he was consequently decapitated during the night of the 31st of July 1602. Each year, on that night, his ghost is seen to be walking in the chapel, with his head cradled under his arm...
The Revolution left other destructions in its wake : the castle was completely stripped of its furnishings and the interior was mutilated and wrecked. It reamined a large empty shell until it was sold in 1938. In order to save it from total ruin, the Regional Council of Dordogne took over ownership in 1974. Since then, one restoration project after another has taken place under the watchful eye of the Historic Monuments Trust.
This chalet has 3 verified reviews.
3 out of 3 people recommend staying here
Great location, fascinating sound of the rut.
The woodland location was extremely pleasant and VERY quiet. We both had such good nights sleep we didn't want to leave. The property was very clean and the shower was good which is always important to us. The internal accommodation was very impressive for the amount we were paying per night. It had an open plan living / kitchen area, double bedroom, separate WC to the bathroom on ground floor with a balconied bedroom upstairs which was built into the roof space and looked down into the living room. We had a very enjoyable time there and the owner was helpful aswell as just leaving us to it. We could park our car right outside the chalet next to a very generous terraced area. There wasn't a TV, but we didn't miss it. I would recommend this to anyone looking for cheap accommodation in the Dordogne who also want peace and tranquility in a clean and beautiful retreat.
This chalet is:
Sights and attractions
Outside this chalet in Biron, FranceThis chalet is in the countryside and in a quiet area. It has a shared pool, a barbecue, a children pool area and outside lighting. Car hire is necessary as the renter will need a car to get about for shopping, eating out and the beach; however parking is available if required.
Prices and availability
Updated 17 July 2019
- Your booking
- Available start/end date
Select your travel dates on the calendar
Changeover days and minimum stays
- 18 September 2019 - 18 March 2020: the minimum stay is 2 nights.
Early booking discounts
- Arrive between 6 July - 30 August and receive 5% off if the booking is made 6 months before the arrival date.
Long stay discounts
- Arrive between 30 March - 5 July and receive 25% off if the booking is for 7 days or more.
- Arrive between 31 August - 27 September and receive 25% off if the booking is for 7 days or more.
If more than one discount matches your arrival date, please be aware that only one discount of the highest amount will be applied to your booking.
Bed and kitchen linen is included in the price
£0.00 per night, paid locally
£8.42 per night for each additional person if there are more than 4 people, paid with booking
Taxe de sejour
£0.36 per person per night, paid locally
Cleaning charges (if you dont feel up to it) at the end of your stay.
£48.73 per booking, paid locally
Rental baby cot and/or pushchair
£4.43 per night, paid locally
£22.15 per week, paid with booking
One dog or cat per chalet
£5.32 per night, paid locally
2 bedrooms, Sleeps 6:
- 1 double bed
- 2 single beds
There is also 2 single sofa beds in mezzanine
1 bathroom, 1 Separate WC
Internet / WiFi
Living area seats 6, Dining area seats 6, Central heating, Clothes drier, Iron / board, Towels / linen, Washing machine, Car hire essential
Cooker, Crockery, Cutlery, Dishwasher, Fridge, Freezer, Glassware, Kettle, Microwave, Oven, Pots / pans, Toaster
Barbecue, Outside lighting, Parking, Childrens pool area
Children, Infants, Restricted mobility , Pets
Bed- and kitchen linen are provided, no bath towels.
Private Owner From Biron, France Member since Nov 2006
Past bookings: 5 bookings
Last seen: 2 months ago
Number of properties: 1