Ambelia is a beautiful holiday village nestling in the mountains a couple of kilometres East of Kyrenia, Northern Cyprus. Situated just outside the famous old village of Bellapais, the complex comprises 30 privately-owned villas and 20 studio apartments surrounded by lush greenery.
Facilities available to our guests include the swimming pool (with cocktail area), the sunbathing terrace with sun-loungers and natural shade, the restaurant and the bar.
Villa number 9 is located just up the hill from the bar/restaurant area. Its balcony is shaded from the heat of the sun for most of the day and sheltered from sight of the other villas.
Number 9 boasts a superb view of Bellapais village, with its beautiful Gothic abbey and Lawrence Durrells house (made famous in his book Bitter Lemons). The view from the balcony is framed by olive, cypress and carob trees, in the distance the Mediterranean shimmers, and on a clear day the Taurus mountains of Turkey are visible.
What to do
For many people, the perfect holiday means lounging on the private balcony, or around the pool, with a cocktail in one hand and a good book in the other.
Ambelia is perfect for that: being at the end of the road halfway up the mountains it is wonderfully peaceful and relaxing.
For others, heres a list of some of the things you can enjoy in the area around Ambelia:
- The seaside. Within an hours drive are dozens of beaches, ranging from exclusive rocky coves to swathes of sandy expanses. The larger ones offer water sports and bars/restaurants. Youll often find you have the further, smaller ones to yourself.
- The castles. Within a short drive are two of the best preserved Byzantine castles in the world. St Hilarion (20 mins) and Bufavento (40 mins) are wonderful attractions for children of all ages. Exuding history, each demands a visit.
- The towns. Both Kyrenia (10 mins) and Nicosia (45 mins) are well worth visiting. In Nicosia in particular are museums, coffee shops, bazaars, mosques, restaurants - most of it not changed much since the "Peace Operation" of 1974. Kyrenia is packed with shops, bars and restaurants, as well as hosting the famous Kyrenia Castle.
- The turtles. On the sandiest beaches to the East of Kyrenia, turtles lay their eggs in May. These hatch in July, and on some of the beaches you are permitted to sit and watch as the hatchlings are encouraged towards the sea.
- The landscape. Pine-covered mountains run the length of the Northern coast, providing great walks. Bird-watchers and botanists will also love the variety of fauna and flora, both resident and migratory.
- The history. Quite apart from the castles mentioned earlier, Northern Cyprus also boasts pre-Roman ruins (Soli and Vouni), the huge Roman port of Salamis, the fortified walls of Nicosia and Famagusta, and countless other gems that will delight the historian.
3-bedroom villa set in cool of the mountains above Bellapais Abbey, with gorgeous views of the coastline.
3 bedrooms, sleeps 6
Bedroom 1: 2 Single beds Bedroom 2: 2 Single beds Bedroom 3: 2 Single beds
Room for 6 in the dining area Room for 10 in the living area
Sea view Extra information (Restaurant and bar area available to residents - 20 seconds walk down the hill.
Many restaurants in Bellapais village - 10 minutes walk down the hill.)
Sports and activities
Boat Hire Cycling Fishing Mountain Biking Sailling
Scuba Diving Tennis Water Skiing Wind Surfing
Sights and attractions
Historic Site Museum
Prices and availability
Last updated 09.05.2012
Discounts and extras
If more then one discount matches your arrival date, please be aware that only one discount of the highest
amount will be applied to your booking.
Long Stay Booking Discounts
Arrival date range
Booking is equal to or longer than x days/weeks/months
1st January to 30th June
1st October to 31st December
This property does not have any extras set
This is exact location
Kyrenia town centre:
Nicosia city centre:
2 verified reviews
Check in and Out
Value for money
1 out of 2 people recommend staying here
Nigel from Limasol
Stayed Sunday 01 August 2010
Overall a very pleasant stay. The facilities within the Villa were good and prety much what we wanted. No TV meant the kids had to entertain themselves and play games, like when we were kids. A very relaxing environment and only 30 secs from the pool. The only down side is that I think the property would benefit from aircon upstairs in the living area as it was roasting during the day. Great view of the sea and local area from the balcony.
Joe from Ruislip
Stayed Friday 02 October 2009
Excellent location & views. Comfortable Villa. Only my wife & I stayed for a week, so lots of spare rooom to spread out. Simple Maid service was unexpected bonus.
About the owner
We lived in Cyprus as very small boys in the late 1960s - our father ran the British Council office in Nicosia. Soon before leaving in 1969, we bought a house for holidays. When that was shot up during the 1974 "Peace Operation", we bought the villa in Ambelia, which has been in the family since 1980. Although we 3 brothers are now scattered across Europe, with children, we try to get back to Cyprus at least once a year. The main reasons for letting the property are to share our love of the area with people, and - to be frank - to allow us to continue to afford to run the villa.
Owner score66 Calendar updated: 2 years ago Last logged in: a year ago
Located in: United Kingdom Joined: November 2006
Carob Villa ,private Pool Lush G...
From £694 per week
From £350 per week
Olivia Gardens, Catalkoy, Kyrenia
From £525 per week
Carmichael Cottages Bellapais
From £1,050 per week
From £598 per week
Villa Doyan, Edremit, Kyrenia
From £550 per week
Sea & Mountain View House
From £799 per week
Contact the owner
Thank you, your message has been sent to the owner of Number 9 Ambelia Village
You should expect a reply to your message within 24 hours.