The Ultimate Staycation Holiday Cottages to Rent in the UK
“What is a staycation?” I can hear you asking… Well the definition of staycation is a holiday in one’s home country. For example, if you live in London, you might consider a staycation in Cornwall rather than going abroad to Europe or beyond. There are many reasons why Brits are now opting for the staycation over going further afield, these include:
- It’s cheaper because you don’t have to pay for flights
- You can get to know your own country better
- You don’t have to worry about culture-shock and language-barriers
We’ve chosen our 5 best holiday cottages in the UK and given you some staycation ideas to get you inspired! If you’re looking for what to do on a staycation then look no further…
1. Heydons House – Sidmouth, Devon
This cottage has 4 bedrooms, an Aga, and is just 3 minutes’ walk from the sea!
What to do in Sidmouth:
- Go for a walk up the 500ft Peak Hill to enjoy the panoramic views of Sidmouth and the coast
- Have a beach day
- Take the kids to Crealy Park – one of Devon’s theme parks – or Bicton Gardens for a picnic and train ride
2. The Croft – Rothbury, Northumberland National Park
This traditional cottage has been lovingly restored, has 2 bedrooms and is perched above Rothbury – the gateway to the Northumberland National Park.
What to do in Northumberland:
- Take a boat trip to Farne Island to see the puffins
- Explore the Cragside house and gardens in Mortpeth
- Learn about the moon and stars and everything in between at the Kielder observatory
3. Eastfield Cottage – Alnwick, Northumberland
This charming holiday cottage is situated on Chesterhill Old Farm, it has 2 bedrooms, and comes with a complimentary bottle of wine and fresh free range eggs daily!
What to do in Alnwick:
- Visit the enchanting Alnwick Castle and gardens which date back to medieval times
- Have a beach day down at Low Newton by the Sea
- Take a wander through the ruins of Dunstanburgh Castle
4. Garden Cottage – Near Fife, Scotland
This traditional stone cottage is nestled in the heart of a large, green estate where deer can often be spotted early in the morning.
What to do in Fife:
- The Fife Agricultural Show is held within the ground of the estate and is held every year in May
- Follow in the footsteps of golfing legends at one of the many world-class golf courses
- Take a stroll on the beach and in the forest at Tentsmuir – you might even catch seals basking in the sun
5. Happy Union Stables – Powys, Wales
This beautiful barn conversion has 2 bedrooms, a spacious and light interior and is located within a stunning historic village with ruins of Cistercian Abbey.
What to do in Powys:
- Take a walk in the Brecon Beacons National Park where you can see waterfalls and caves
- Go canoeing in Hay-on-Wye, or if you’re visiting at the end of May, then the Hay Festival of Literature is a must
- Learn all about sustainability at the Centre for Alternative Technology in Machynlleth
If this article has got you craving a hassle-free holiday in the UK, then browse our properties by clicking below...