You may not have thought it, but Goa in India is a coastal region bursting with activity and adventure - from beach yoga to flea markets. It's the ultimate destination for those who want a relaxing beach holiday with a bit of exploration and adrenalin thrown in the mix.
And the street food is to die for!
1. It’s a foodie’s paradise. Just look at this scrumptious seafood... and the street food is always really cheap!
2. Forget your stereotypical view of India – ditch the images of crowded cityscapes and instead picture coconut groves, bird calls and the whisper of the sea on the sand.
3. Baga in North Goa is a party heaven for twenty-somethings, with clubs open until 4am, which is pretty rare in India. Try Tito’s Café Mambo...
Backwater kayaking, or cruise for the less adventurous.
4. You can spend a day with the elephants.
5. You can stay in a beach hut like this…
6. Or you can rent a heritage villa like this…
Goa was once ruled by the Portuguese, so it still is a hub of Portuguese culture with lots of the associated architecture.
See the full property page here
7. The Anjuna Flea Market – a hippie’s paradise. Get yourself some of those must-have baggy pants and bandanas.
8. Goan architecture is bright and beautiful…
Picture: trekearth.com, dsource.in & Wikipedia
9. You can enjoy a candle-lit dinner on the beach.
10. You can trek to the Dudhsagar Falls.
11. Try some Feni – a traditional Goan liquor made from fermented cashews and coconuts – and see how it’s made.
Picture: Wikipedia, goabest.com & goastreets.com
12. Goa Carnival – the best excuse to visit in February. Celebrated for 4 solid days.
13. You can dance all night at Sunburn Festival.
14. It’s easy to rent a bike and go exploring.
15. Or an open-air Jeep...
16. You can see the sun set at Chapora Fort.
Picture: Telegraph & Flickr
17. There’s some pretty good surf to be had.
Try Banana Surf School
near Arambol beach town...
18. You can take a boat ride to Butterfly Beach – one of the most secluded beaches.
19. Yoga on the beach.
Try Oceanic Yoga School
Picture: traveltherapytours.com & Guardian
20. You can watch a fire show on the beach – performed by experienced fire artists.
21. It’s a great place for scuba diving.
22. … And quad biking.
23. You can take a tour of the spice plantations.
24. You can go crocodile-watching on a backwater cruise along the Cambarjua Canal.
25. You can get your spiritual fix at Shanta Durga Temple.
If this blog post has inspired a Goan adventure then why not check out our villas and apartments in Goa