10 Reasons Why You Need to Visit Aquitaine
The south-west coastal region of France is totally underrated in our eyes. From stoked surfers to wandering winos - there is something for everyone in the Aquitaine region. So here, we give you 10 reasons why you should visit Aquitaine sometime soon...
1. You can quaff glass after glass of fruity red wine in Saint-Émilion
This area of Aquitaine is a wine lover's paradise. Take a stroll through the many vineyards, explore the chateaus, and listen to live jazz of an evening in one of Saint-Émilion’s sophisticated wine bars.
2. You can be a beach bum in Biarritz
Biarritz is a trendy beach resort but it also has a strong surfing culture - it’s famous worldwide for the surf competitions it hosts such as the Roxy Pro. It’s only 35km from the border with Spain so you could make a day trip to the Basque country!
3. You can climb Europe’s largest sand dune in Europe – let alone Aquitaine!
Dune du Pilat is found near Arcachon, and the views of the bay from the top are stunning – especially at sunset. This has got to be one of the best things to do in Aquitaine.
4. You can taste fresh Oysters in Arcachon
Seafood always tastes better by the sea!
5. You can surf the Atlantic coast and cycle through the pine forests of Mimizan
Mimizan-Plage beach resort has a huge stretch of coastline which is perfect for beginner surfers. Its pine forests are jotted with cycle paths and there are plenty of bike hire shops.
6. You can explore the architectural delights of the city of Bordeaux
Bordeaux is Aquitaine’s capital. Known for its 18th and 19th century mansions, Gothic Cathédrale Saint-André, and the ‘water mirror’ at Place de la Bourse, Bordeaux is a must-see French city.
7. You can treat the kids to a day at the Parc de la Coccinelle
This is a great attraction for little ones, where they can stroke farm animals, play in the water park and enjoy magic shows.
8. You can go canoeing down the Dordogne from Vitrac to Beynac
There is some beautiful scenery to soak up and there’s a lot of wildlife to spot on the river.
9. You can step back in time at one of the many castles in Aquitaine
One of the most spectacular castles to visit in Aquitaine is the completely renovated Chateau de Castelnaud in Castelnaud-la-Chapelle. It is also home to an interesting museum of warfare.
10. You can get happily lost wandering round the Gardens of Marqueyssac
There are incredible panoramic views of the Dordogne Valley and there are many different pathways to choose from. You’ll find this green paradise in near Bergerac – which is also well worth a visit for any wine fanatics!
We bet you're desperate for a glass of full-bodied Saint-Emilion right now!
You could be sipping away from the comfort of a poolside lounger, so why not look at our villas in Aquitaine?